Other Tweeking Cheap Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@joeswine Malbec down to 1.002. Final ABV should be close to 14%. Racked over to carboy last night. Filled right up to within 1" of bung/airlock. A lot of action going on(bubbles in carboy and airlock) so we are still going strong. So far so good. Thanks for the guidance.
Also, add another tablespoon of tannin when I rack off sediment to another carboy, correct?

"Filled right up to within 1" of bung/airlock"

Q: What did you fill up to the bung with?

Malbec

Got my kit last week but could not find currants. Had to order from internet and just got them. I have LD Carlson wine tannin. Is this ok or do I need another kind?

"Filled right up to within 1" of bung/airlock"

Q: What did you fill up to the bung with?

I was able to fill it up with all juice. I started with juice/water right at the 5 gal. mark, plus the 40oz. of simple syrup. I believe the additional simple syrup helped me gain that little bit extra in the end.
With my standard non-kit wines, I always allow for extra in the primary so for future rackings, I have "original wine" to add and not water or store bought. Played the same hand here.

With that said, when I do a second or third racking, I will probably need to use some commercial Malbec for topping up. I never use water.

As far as your tannin, LD is fine. I think that is what I used.

in the mix

The next racking rack down don't use any other wines rack down the results are much better, do you use an inert gas? I'm f not rack down.:db

The next racking rack down don't use any other wines rack down the results are much better, do you use an inert gas? I'm f not rack down.:db

No sir on the gas.

My problem with racking down is what if I have 4 3/4 gal.? Rack to a 3 gal. carboy, 1 gal. carboy and 3 or 4 750ml bottles?

Seems like if that is the case to add a small amount of wine to top off.

I was able to fill it up with all juice. I started with juice/water right at the 5 gal. mark, plus the 40oz. of simple syrup. I believe the additional simple syrup helped me gain that little bit extra in the end.
With my standard non-kit wines, I always allow for extra in the primary so for future rackings, I have "original wine" to add and not water or store bought. Played the same hand here.

With that said, when I do a second or third racking, I will probably need to use some commercial Malbec for topping up. I never use water.

As far as your tannin, LD is fine. I think that is what I used.

I sure am glad you replied. I had just finished and left the fermenting room, sat down, read your post and realized I forgot the simple syrup. After a small panic attack,... I now have it all under control. :h 3 phone calls while I started this batch.lol

in the mix

Then don't if you have 4&3/4 land your in a five then rack to a 5 your not going to be in for two weeks then bottle, or rack down to a 3 gallon and a 1 the balance you can use on its own.listen sometimes it's better to loose a little to gain the volume created. Did you see I finished one kit with a 3and a 1 ,the little your choice that is the reason your the wine chef in your cellar no

Joe,
I was also wanting to start the Fontana, Merlot after, the Malbec I started today.

My problem starting the Merlot is the store was out of blackberries. I have in my freezer a berry mix- rasp.,blk.,straw., and blueberries. Would you use these or wait and get only blackberries?

Thanks.

Here's the Problem with that, IMOP,using mix fruit is OK for desert, but a Merlot has a profile of its own.dark fruit,plum's these are the Background's of Merlot, you don't need a lot, 1 lb. Works in the primary, saute first, go to making a fpac one of my threads don't start until you have all the components in order.

Here's the Problem with that, IMOP,using mix fruit is OK for desert, but a Merlot has a profile of its own.dark fruit,plum's these are the Background's of Merlot, you don't need a lot, 1 lb. Works in the primary, saute first, go to making a fpac one of my threads don't start until you have all the components in order.

Will wait and get the right components.

Many thanks!

Joe,
I was also wanting to start the Fontana, Merlot after, the Malbec I started today.

My problem starting the Merlot is the store was out of blackberries. I have in my freezer a berry mix- rasp.,blk.,straw., and blueberries. Would you use these or wait and get only blackberries?

Thanks.

The merlot is the best Fontana kit IMO. The malbec is nice, but the merlot with some tweaks is a real bargain. I have tried one of the more expensive fontana amarone, but its not close to being aged enough to see where the wine is going to finish. Not a fan of the fontana whites. Turning the last batch of chardonnay into sparkling wine. I think you will really enjoy both the malbec and merlot.

Then don't if you have 4&3/4 land your in a five then rack to a 5 your not going to be in for two weeks then bottle, or rack down to a 3 gallon and a 1 the balance you can use on its own.listen sometimes it's better to loose a little to gain the volume created. Did you see I finished one kit with a 3and a 1 ,the little your choice that is the reason your the wine chef in your cellar no

Ok, I will continue to heed your advice on this kit. I will rack down to smaller carboys if need be. Right now it is still bubbling away in the 5 gal. I am guessing in the next week or two it will need racked off the sediment that is accumulating in the bottom of the 5 gal.

That's correct ad long as you have fermentation taking place leave it in the larger container, then once it's gone stii rack as planned,you can do something like this until your ready to bottle then chem and clear then split to rest and bottle when ready ,a little more work ,but hay that's wine making ,

35.jpg

Last edited:
Joe,
Just started tasting a Pinot Noir about 2-3 months of age. Only tweek was white grapes for body and to preserve the color. Wine is very grapey tasting, is this just a young taste or is this something I should adjust? Other than the grapey taste it finishes nicely.

Should have said White Raisins, not grapes.

Last edited:
in the mix

How was the acholo level,what was your final pH,? What to do? Add some tannins about 1tabledpoon, let it set,1 week.question, is this a fantana kit? DO YOU REMEMBER WHAT YOUR STARTING ABV, WAS?

Last edited:
Before I bother with any of these kits, how bad is the quality? How do they compare to jug wines like Martini & Rossi or box wines like Franzia and Almaden?

If they are of lesser quality, I don't think I'll get any, but if they can at least be made to that level or better, I'll be happy to give them a shot.

Obviously I don't expect greatness, but would like to avoid complete mediocrity.

Before I bother with any of these kits, how bad is the quality? How do they compare to jug wines like Martini & Rossi or box wines like Franzia and Almaden?

If they are of lesser quality, I don't think I'll get any, but if they can at least be made to that level or better, I'll be happy to give them a shot.

Obviously I don't expect greatness, but would like to avoid complete mediocrity.

I guess if you want to compare, you're going to wind up with about $2.00 a bottle wine, same as a Charles Shaw wine that you can get at Trader Joe's for $2.99. So, if you're looking for a kit that tastes like a $40 bottle cab, it just isn't going to be there. At least that's as much as I have read and researched about making wine kits. For me, I'm just as satisfied with a good table wine as I would be with a bottle that cost $25 or $30 a bottle. Some of these kits make some pretty good, everyday table wine. Its all in what you like I guess.

Latest posts

Back