Other Tweeking Cheap Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you raise the alcohol level 3 months into the process?

Probably not. Can you give us more specifics on what you have done, and what you are trying to accomplish?

You can always fortify the wine by adding vodka or brandy, if that interests you. But adding additional sugar and getting a new alcoholic fermentation going to a finished wine is risky, in that you may not be able to get the fermentation restarted.

That's what I thought. I've done pretty basic things one came with grape pack, one I added currants. Both had added tannins and a little oak. It's almost bottling time and I feel like abv is week. No big deal still new to this and will learn for next time. One is winexpert world Syrah and one is winexpert world GSM. Both have kit/young taste but not bad.

Bauer

that is part of the reason I always try to bring the abv. Up in the primary to insure a good ACHOLO AND A BETTER BALANCED TASTE. if its grapey that means it either didn't ferment out all the way or the abv /isn't balanced enough.

9.jpg

10.jpg

Last edited:
@joeswine Yep, that was the plan. I will rack to a 3 gal. carboy, 1 gal. carboy and 1/2 gal. carboy..........if needed.
I added the 1 tablespoon of tannin in the beginning to the primary. When dry, and I rack down to the other smaller carboys, do I add the other 1 tablespoon of tannin to those in the right portions? Or should I have added the second tablespoon already?

Before I bother with any of these kits, how bad is the quality? How do they compare to jug wines like Martini & Rossi or box wines like Franzia and Almaden?

If they are of lesser quality, I don't think I'll get any, but if they can at least be made to that level or better, I'll be happy to give them a shot.

Obviously I don't expect greatness, but would like to avoid complete mediocrity.

I have made a couple high end kits, which are comparable to $12 - $20 bottles of wine. And that is what I expected.
With this kit, I am assuming it will be comparable to an $8 - $10 bottle of wine, which is just fine considering the cost of the kit.

in the mix

The second tannins addition she be when ever you have it as one volume this inssures even concentration.

Ok, so should I add it now, even though there is probably only a week left until I rack it down to smaller carboys?

Sampled my "Joe's Malbec" a little while ago.....pretty good I thought! It's doing just fine....think I'll just leave alone for a couple of months.

Used Joe's method on Fontana Wildberry Sharz...tweaked the snot out of it....and while not clear yet, still in secondary, it is showing real promise too.

Finally, I tasted a Charddonay that I added grapefruit zest to a week ago....I liked it too...gonna let it sit on the zest a while longer.

Thanks Joe!

How was the acholo level,what was your final pH,? What to do? Add some tannins about 1tabledpoon, let it set,1 week.question, is this a fantana kit? DO YOU REMEMBER WHAT YOUR STARTING ABV, WAS?

Joe,

This was my first time to tweek a kit so I only added the Rasins. Probably should have captalized as well. ABV is around 12% as the starting SG was 1.086, current PH tested from the Carboy is, around 3.2 - 3.4.
Kit is a Winexperts Vinters Reserve made to 6gal.

Clark

in the mix

Vintners, normally a low ABV sweet finishing Wine, but still great to play with l et it finish out this time, let's work on one together. And see the difference.

in the mix

mismost,great to hear so far so good, what do you think of the value of these kits as a everyday table Wine.

Joe,

This was my first time to tweek a kit so I only added the Rasins. Probably should have captalized as well. ABV is around 12% as the starting SG was 1.086, current PH tested from the Carboy is, around 3.2 - 3.4.
Kit is a Winexperts Vinters Reserve made to 6gal.

Clark

Raisins are about 2/3 sugar, so you probably bumped your ABV up a bit (depending on how many raisins you added).

Hi,no to the honey,reduce the volume of the batch to 5 gallons, bumponly use 1 lb . of the berries. In the primary, add 1/2 cup oak any type, use ec1118 for your yeast and filtered water,all this is done in the primary put a towel a cross the top if you have a heating belt us it ,it will help concrete the flavors let time do the work, cover and walk away.

Its in the fermenter Joe, I used 1 pound of mixed blackberries and raspberries mashed and put in a fruit bag, opted for BM4x4 yeast. Should I be worried about nutrients? BM4x4 is a low nutrient yeast, but was going to do 2g of nutrients at end of lag, then again at 1/3rd and 2/3rds. Or, as I've read all over the place here, just toss in a handful of raisins??

in the mix

Your dealing with fresh berries and a kit, I never add any nutrients to the mix, what would be the purpose? At least not in my Wines .raisins aren't for every wine style mostly for heavy red's, currents for fruity wines. Just the same as oak isn't for most White's.., as I've stated many times the first item of Wine business it to know the characteristics of the base, then take it from there, make sense?

Got ya, will let 'er run till she quits then! Thanks for the help....Also, SG was 1.100, I suppose thats a good starting point, eh?

Last edited:
mismost,great to hear so far so good, what do you think of the value of these kits as a everyday table Wine.

Well Joe, I'm the wrong person to ask! Don't drink much. Know very little about wine or wine types or even wine quality. But, for some reason, I love the actual process....which I am still working on.

I do know what I like the taste of and I like these wines thus far. Tweaked your way, I think they are better than the kits I've spent twice as much money on (done straight up). Which naturally makes me wonder how much better they would be if tweaked! So yes, I would say they are a bargain for the price. What's priceless is that are mine, I made that wine.

I am a tweak freak....be it cooking, rifles, handloading, archery, beer brewing....I have built in compulsion to try to make things just a little better, tastsy, accurate, or just different. Reading your "flows" was just a big old green light to go for it! Thank you for the time you spent doing that for us !

@joeswine Ok, added the second tablespoon of tannin to my 5 gal. carboy last night. Fizzed up like no other and out the top, didn't lose too much. I stirred it in pretty well, hopefully that didn't hurt things. Figured it pushed some of the gas out.
SG down to .994 so will let tannin sit on it until this weekend then rack down and start clearing/stabilizing.

In the mix

No you didn't hurt anything there's a lot of gas to get out so take your time there's no rush when that happens it can be alarming, it's a chemical reaction nothing more. Next racking rack into a 6 or 5 gallon bucket then back into the carboy. This way you'll help degas a lot quicker, do you have a allinonepump? pumping over also removes gas a lot quicker, you have time it's on your side .stay the course.:h WINEFORFUN

No sir, no All in One.
Ok, I usually just rack into the carboy from carboy. I will go into the primary then into carboy when racking again.
Thanks Joe.

I will check and see how my 1/2 light and 1/2 dark oak did. I may add some more at next racking if it needs it.

Latest posts

Back