Other Tweeking Cheap Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have any of you tried using black grocery store grapes either while or skins only? How do you think they would affect a Costco Argentina Ridge Cabernet Sauvignon? Its a 2x7L kit that makes 60 bottles. Would it get closer to a more premium kit with grape skins? Would there be any significant change in flavor?

What about adding tannins?

No it will add to the structure and some ph but no flavor to speak of.
Grape skin’s ( fpac) will add flavor and texture and ph, getting closer just watch your abv. , you control the process remember that.
Plan your work then work your plan.
This can take place to a lesser or more degree with more expensive kits also.

People think that an expensive kit shouldn’t or can’t be tweaked, definitely not true , every top end wine maker out there tweaks there high end commercial wines adjust the structure of their product, it’s a natural thing to do in the process, building structure, adjusting tannins and oak and any other adjust not withstanding blending to come out with a decent blend or finished product, that’s the nature of wine making.
Weather and many other conditions in the wine industry add to the tweaks.
Just my thoughts.

Last edited:
People think that an expensive kit shouldn’t or can’t be tweaked, definitely not true , every top end wine maker out there tweaks there high end commercial wines adjust the structure of their product, it’s a natural thing to do in the process, building structure, adjusting tannins and oak and any other adjust not withstanding blending to come out with a decent blend or finished product, that’s the nature of wine making.
Weather and many other conditions in the wine industry add to the tweaks. Just my thoughts.
[emphasis mine] My thoughts as well.

Everything we do to a wine, regardless of type, is a "tweak". Fermentation oak, chaptalization, fermentation enzymes, fruit additives (raisins, currents, dried elderberry, etc.), blending, fining agents, aging oak, spices, etc. If the final result is pleasing, you have succeeded.

Weather and many other conditions in the wine industry add to the tweaks.
Just my thoughts.
I can agree with this declaration, however I definitely think that there is night and day difference in the final results depending on which quality you are starting with, IE: $75 kit or a $130 kit. I could be wrong, but that’s my experience anyway.

I can agree with this declaration, however I definitely think that there is night and day difference in the final results depending on which quality you are starting with, IE: $75 kit or a $130 kit. I could be wrong, but that’s my experience anyway.
The only difference is in the initial intent , good every day wine or a definitive top of the line wine, the key to it all is ( it’s all subjective to one’s taste ).

reviewing a kit made in the past and tasting it at present. Sauvignon Blanc, nice and clean.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 29
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 27
  • 4a.jpg
    4a.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 26
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 25
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 25
Phase #2. follow the flow

Attachments

• 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 11a.jpg
    11a.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 26
  • 11 kate fixed.jpg
    11 kate fixed.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 24
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 12.jpg
    12.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 13 (2).jpg
    13 (2).jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 22
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 23
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 24
Final phase..

Attachments

• IMG_20160205_140619405.jpg
    IMG_20160205_140619405.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 17a.jpg
    17a.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 21
For a cheap Cabernet Sauvignon kit would you switch out the EC-1118 yeast for anything else such as RC-212?

I believe cheap kits (including Cabernet Sauvignon) lack mostly in body so IMO, the best thing you can do is add a blackberry f-pac to primary along with some oak. Then maybe some tannins added in secondary. I've been experimenting with a few different yeast selections occasionally but it's hard to say how they improved the flavor profile. Hopefully others who experiment more with yeast will chime in. Good luck.

We now have 480k views and still growing, when the guys in the beginning, Wade, Tom, Appleman (grape man), and others asked me to come over and do this thread I had no idea it would grow and is growing thanks to all who have added their input in helping others with their experiences in winemaking.

My next kit is RJS International Meritage. It comes with oak chips and a pack of oak tea. Also includes the "GenuWne"dried grape skins and a small sweetener pack for the end process.

My plan is to only tweek by adding a blackberry fpac in the primary. Less is more. I'm thinking with the 2 oak packs and dried grape seeds/skins, I probably don't need to add any tannins. Thoughts? And even though we prefer dry wines, we also like a lot of variety, so we plan to use the entire small sweetener pack according to the instructions.

I started an Island Mist Blueberry Pinot Noir tonight and added a blueberry f-pac and 4# sugar that bumped the ABV to 1.090.
Some time ago I read on this forum to also add 1 Tbs of tannins and some oak chips. Would these be nice enhancements or should I just leave it as is? Thanks as always.

Have any of you tried using black grocery store grapes either while or skins only? How do you think they would affect a Costco Argentina Ridge Cabernet Sauvignon? Its a 2x7L kit that makes 60 bottles. Would it get closer to a more premium kit with grape skins? Would there be any significant change in flavor?

What about adding tannins?
Following advice from Joeswine and a bit of experimenting, I've been adding black grocery store grapes (about 1 lb. per 5 gal batch) with most but not all of the juice pressed out to those "60-bottle" Costco kits for the past 18 months with very satisfactory results.
I shorten the water to make 50 bottles instead of 60 and leave black grape skins on the reds throughout the fermentation cycle and as long as 14 days, punching the skins down daily. I bought a Speidel fermenter with a wide mouth for this specific purpose. Also, don't forget to soak the grapes first in a K-Meta solution to get rid of the nasties.
I found that the long, finger-like black grapes are best to my taste and, if you can get them, the ones with seeds. I include a fair bit of the stems because from what I've read seeds and stems add tannin. I tried adding tannin directly but did not like the results as much.
The larger Asian markets tend to get table grapes with seeds on occasion. I used to use dried grape skins from winemaking stores or on Amazon for similar results but the price has gone from $12 a packet to $25 — ridiculous considering left over grape skins known as pomace is a costly waste problem for commercial winemakers.
BTW — I'm buying a bucket of wine grape must to make a batch of wine and freezing the skins I can salvage to add to my kit wines. I'll report back on the results.
I then bulk age the reds with a cup of American oak per 19 litre carboy, topping up and adding 1/4 tsp K-Meta every three months.
The results are excellent — not top wine kit excellent but a fantastic every day drinking wine that matches any Merlot, Cab, or Pino Noir I can buy at the LCBO (Ontario liquor store) for $15 Cnd or less. I even have a challenge with friends and neighbours to bring a $15 or less bottle to match against my Costco concoctions and all of them, wine snobs included, have given my bottles thumbs up.
I've also been adding white grocery grape skins to my Costco whites (again shorten water) to create what the industry calls skin touch or amber whites. I found five days on the skins work best with the Costco Chateau Argentia Chardonnay and again bulk aged on oak. The Master Cellar Sauvignon Blanc is okay – an improvement over following the instructions precisely – but just okay. As for the Argentia Gewurtztraminer — absolutely not. Just follow the instructions except shorten the water as noted above.

Latest posts

Back