Other Tweeking Cheap Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've tried just adding whole raisins and they just swell up. Even after several days, If I put one in my mouth it still seems to have all or most of its original sweetness. If I don't chop them, how long will it take to get all the benefit of the raisins?

If you leave them in for a full fermentation they become bitter, having given up their essential elements.
If you like chopping them up then do what you feel comfortable with doing.

Thanks. I didn't mean to be contrarian. I'm genuinely curious how long it it would take for the sugars and flavors to come out of the raisins if I leave them whole as you suggest. I put the chopped raisins in a mesh bag only in the primary and and take them out as fermentation slows down, sort of like I understand one does with whole, crushed grapes. I've not noticed any bitterness, by the way.

Last edited:
The bitterness comes when the extraction of the raisins in there whole form has ended, if you haven’t done whole raisins and then bit into one you would understand.
Either way no problem do what makes you comfortable it’s your wine🍇

Today was a good day in the wine cellar for the last 6 years or so after Tom passed I’ve been making wine for his wife and daughter, today was time to bottle a Red Blend-and a Sharaz.
Time to teach his daughter her name is Morreen , got the process all set up they arrived at 11 and we were done bottling in its entirety and she did it all by her self ,with me of course right beside and behind and ahead of her , her mother was wiping down the bottles and putting on labels.
Next I’ll show her how to start the process , all the way to the finish. I had pictures of Tom and me at my 60th birthday party at Gino pintos , for those who don’t know Tom I believe he started what are you doing or making today.
less we forget it was a good 4 hours , coffee, cake , pizzas and Double Pino Nior.

Question. I just finished bottling a cabernet sauvignon kit to which I added sugar to SG 1.095 and then two pounds of chopped raisins. I calculated final SG was probably a little over 1.100 but have no way to know for sure since I had added the yeast while the chopped raisins were soaking. At bottling the taste is amazing already and has just a tiny perfect hint of sweetness. Final SG was .990 on the nose at 70 degrees. Where is the hint of sweetness coming from? Do you think the yeast gave up and left a little sugar, or could it just be the nature of the thing? I left it almost two weeks in the secondary after all activity and SG changes had stopped before stabilizing and clarifying. I assume the yeast was probably Lalvin EC-1118 since that is what is in most inexpensive kits.

My understanding - and I'm not an expert by any means - is there are compounds in fermented beverages that can add sweetness without being "sugars" as we think of them.

As an example, I'm constantly blown away by how sweet some fine liquors (like a good Scotch) can be even at very high ABV. (EDIT: yes I know this probably comes from the barrels/casks, so maybe not such a great example. 😁 )

My understanding - and I'm not an expert by any means - is there are compounds in fermented beverages that can add sweetness without being "sugars" as we think of them.

As an example, I'm constantly blown away by how sweet some fine liquors (like a good Scotch) can be even at very high ABV. (EDIT: yes I know this probably comes from the barrels/casks, so maybe not such a great example. 😁 )

Similar to how glycerin does…. I notice it adds a “sweetness” to wine also

Question. I just finished bottling a cabernet sauvignon kit to which I added sugar to SG 1.095 and then two pounds of chopped raisins. I calculated final SG was probably a little over 1.100 but have no way to know for sure since I had added the yeast while the chopped raisins were soaking. At bottling the taste is amazing already and has just a tiny perfect hint of sweetness. The final SG was .990 on the nose at 70 degrees. Where is the hint of sweetness coming from? Do you think the yeast gave up and left a little sugar, or could it just be the nature of the thing? I left it almost two weeks in the secondary after all activity and SG changes had stopped before stabilizing and clarifying. I assume the yeast was probably Lavin EC-1118 since that is what is in most inexpensive kits.
this is what happens when flavor profiles and structures are enhanced, what your tasting is the background enhancements of the raisins, how were the TANNINS? I think there called phenols. technical term.
the raisins were soaking in the base, correct? no problem.

we are now at 475k views, it just keeps growing. Thanks
to those of us old forum members, and new this is TOM a good winemaker in his own right and an excellent Beer master. He started with us in the beginning.

Attachments

• IMG_20160311_120540845 - Copy.jpg
    IMG_20160311_120540845 - Copy.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 20
I think the tannins are ok at this point. I didn't add oak or add tannins because I figured the raisin skins would add some tannins. I have trouble distinguishing a slight bitterness from the astringency of tannins and am no sommelier. I've been making kits (with modifications) and wines from grocery store concentrates since 2013 and this one tasted best at bottling time. Obviously, the wine is very, very young and will change some over time, hopefully improving it even more. I previously did a chardonnay with golden raisins and grapefruit zest (following your hints) that tasted almost as good at bottling and also had a slight sweetness. That one has matured into something wonderful.

no that sounds about right, give it, time your Alie, and keep on a thing outside the box. have you tried using blackberries yet??

Attachments

• 3 add juice - Copy (2) - Copy.jpg
    3 add juice - Copy (2) - Copy.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 7
I had planned to skip the blackberries in these next few batches since I have quite a few Zante Currants and raisins in the cupboard. But blackberries add something unique compared to the Zante and raisins, so I'm just going to have to pick some up. I see Meijer's have them on sale!
I've got a Wine Lover's Malbec I'll try them in. Anything else you suggest for this kit? Maybe 1 tsp tannins in secondary?

I had planned to skip the blackberries in these next few batches since I have quite a few Zante Currants and raisins in the cupboard. But blackberries add something unique compared to the Zante and raisins, so I'm just going to have to pick some up. I see Meijer's have them on sale!
I've got a Wine Lover's Malbec I'll try them in. Anything else you suggest for this kit? Maybe 1 tsp tannins in secondary?
sauté the blackberries, these will add nice depth. only about 16 ozs.

Thinking of adding oak chips and vanilla bean to my cheap 20 litre of read. When should I add it, and for how long?

Thinking of adding oak chips and vanilla bean to my cheap 20 litre of read. When should I add it, and for how long?
Oak can be added during fermentation, and during aging.

During fermentation it's referred to as "sacrificial tannin", as the tannin extracted from the oak will drop out during clearing, preserving the natural grape tannin. Use shredded oak or chips for this, as there's more surface area to extract from during the short fermentation period.

Aging oak provides oak flavoring, and chips, cubes, spirals, and staves are used. Some folks oak for as little as a few weeks, while I drop cubes in the barrel or carboy and leave them for 3 to 9 months. I prefer cubes as it's a trade off between control and cost -- I can approximate the surface area of cubes so I can consistently dose the wine. Surface area of chips is highly variable, so two different batches of 2 oz of chips can produce more different results.

Vanilla bean? I haven't done this, but it can probably be added during either period. I'd go with aging, tying a single filament nylon fishing string around it, and lower it into the carboy. This way you can extract it when you want.

When taste testing the wine, stir gently to distribute the flavors, as wine does not have convection currents. I do this 1 hour before tasting, then when I pull a sample the wine is more consistently flavored througout.

Madagascar vanilla beans are the best to use don’t need to use a lot , remember Less Is More, start with one slit it open a
ANd let it float in the primary .
If you use it in the secondary same process, vanilla is strong at least a very good brand.
Vanilla extension is excellent to work with. Also

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back