Other Tweeking Cheap Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've made them all at one time or another, I've' found with the Melbec, 16 oz. of blackberries works just fine if you intend to use the grape pack use both if you can also in the primary if you have it 1 table spoon of wine tannins, for structure. save the oak for the secondary . These price point kits start to get real good in 3 to 6 mos. they are early drinkers to be sure. If you don't use the berries no problem .

Attachments

• 11b.jpg
    11b.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 24
  • 11c.jpg
    11c.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 24
  • 5 - Copy.jpg
    5 - Copy.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 24
I'm making a Mascato wine from a kit made by winexpert. Nowhere in the instructions does it call for any sugar. Is there a reason for this for should I add sugar. I dont like dry wines, I like them sweet. What should I do? Also I've only made it by the gallon and this make 6 gallons. Should i reduce it down to 5 gallons instead?

I have a Chardonnay kit just about ready to put in a carboy. It came with oak chips which went in the primary. Should I transfer the oak to the secondary ? When I rack the second time, I'm going to split into two smaller carboys and put the grapefruit zest in one to see what the difference is (Thanks Joe).

Doodah, in general adding sugar will dry out a wine. The yeast will consume the sugar. Most wine kits do not require additional sugar. There are so many good ideas on improving cheap kits on this thread. It's a wealth of education. I'd suggest reading the entire thread.

darrell, do not transfer the oak with the wine. Note i have ask how are you racking (transferring) the wine?

darrell, do not transfer the oak with the wine. Note i have ask how are you racking (transferring) the wine?
I will be using allinone to transfer, just needed to know if I should have scooped up the oak first. Didn't know if 7 days would be enough for oak to make a difference. I'l leave it out, thanks.

I'm making a Mascato wine from a kit made by winexpert. Nowhere in the instructions does it call for any sugar. Is there a reason for this for should I add sugar. I dont like dry wines, I like them sweet. What should I do? Also I've only made it by the gallon and this make 6 gallons. Should i reduce it down to 5 gallons instead?

Does your kit include a second liquid, called an "F-pack," that you add after fermentation is complete?

DooDah911. once the oak is used don't use it again, don't concern yourself with adding sugar this kit will come out sweet.
follow your kit instructions on this one. see what I used its' just right.

Attachments

• IMG_20140317_125521904 - Copy - Copy.jpg
    IMG_20140317_125521904 - Copy - Copy.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 25
  • 1a Moscato kit.jpg
    1a Moscato kit.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 25
  • 1b Moscato kit.jpg
    1b Moscato kit.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 25
  • 12 Moscato raisins.jpg
    12 Moscato raisins.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 24
  • 13 moscato straining raisins.jpg
    13 moscato straining raisins.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 23
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 22
Sugar and wine ,REMEMBER it's a tool in your tool box, you can back sweeten or capitalize with it ,first understand the whens and how's.

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 21
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 21
This thread is dedicated solely for the purpose of inexpensive wine kits regardless of brand and what you can do as a beginner, as a novice, or experienced winemaker to "think outside the box" and create a good wine on an economical budget. Anybody can create a good wine with an expensive kit, the premise behind this thread is to show ways to enhance, correct, and ultimately make a descent bottle of every day wine at very little cost. The average kit for what we will post on this thread costs approximately $45.00. Using amazon prime, shipping was free.

Remember, this thread is dedicated to inexpensive wine kits and experiences we have had making them. Please feel free to comment on these kits, ask questions, etc., and most importantly, provide your input of what you have done (or have not done) when tweaking these kits.
:db Yours truly, Joeswine and Neviawen :f

To Anyone reading this thread. Joe is one of the best winemakers on this site. You will learn a lot from following his tips. Now that the big names are charging big dollars for their kits, we should all learn how to "think out of the box" and buy cheaper kits that can be made into big wines. Then, maybe, the big makers will lower their prices.

RCgoodin ,It's the only chance we have in the long run.
This thread surely isn't for everyone,if you think about it there's a lot of co-op grower's out there and the quality of the product is just that, product ,the process and alcohol does its part .
Cheap wine kits and Kit's up to $125.00 can all be enhanced, always remember people it's all subjective to each individuals taste.😊 nothing more.
So learn to make wine in your style and always remember to think outside the box.🍇

Ok so I started my primary Pinot Grigio kit, added grapefruit zest and white raisins gravity was at 1.100 to start. Fermentation started slow but as of today(2 days later) it is going strong. So a couple of questions I have:
1) my basement is a little cooler then i think is ideal (64f), is this too cold for a white in primary?
2) the kit says to rack it into secondary after 10 days, considering the temp and couple of tweeks I made how long would you wait before moving it to secondary?
3) would you tweet this kit any further (Argentina ridge chateau Pinot Grigio 7L kit)

My Wine Lover's Merlot kit is at the in the secondary right now and I have not yet stabilized. I checked the S.G. Thursday evening and again yesterday evening and it didn't appear to change. It seems a bit high at 0.997. The airlock is still bubbling ever so slightly, so I'm going to leave it alone for a few more days before I stabilize. I'd like to see it drop another tick or two on the hydrometer. Thoughts?

My Wine Lover's Merlot kit is at the in the secondary right now and I have not yet stabilized. I checked the S.G. Thursday evening and again yesterday evening and it didn't appear to change. It seems a bit high at 0.997. The airlock is still bubbling ever so slightly, so I'm going to leave it alone for a few more days before I stabilize. I'd like to see it drop another tick or two on the hydrometer. Thoughts?

Wonderful idea to wait. You are off the worst of the lees, let it set for a week or maybe two.

Ok , this is the hardest part I want you to leave the wine alone for this week all's I want you to do is every day at least once a day give it a good shake , then walk away nothing more can you do that no reading's nothing , just shake and walk away for one week,got it.
After the week is up add all your chems. ..stir well and walk away, it's that easy. After that week you should be ready to bottle if you chose.
Let me Know how you are then ,wine making is not having luck it's having patience, stay the course my friend.

joeswine
Just picked up a cheap kit on wine lovers. 7% shiraz. 10L. I got the grapeskins and french oak. it is meant to be an everyday shiraz. This is my plan. Reduce to 5-5.5 gallons. 16oz blackberries, and a small handful of coffee beans in the primary. considering some peppercorns to? Your thoughts would be appreciated from a long time winetweaker.

Ok for the cheap wine kit doers out there this is the process for the Chardonnay kit ,yield 23 bottles... be prepared be patient that's the trick.
phase #1

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 42
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 42
  • 2a.jpg
    2a.jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 003.jpg