Mosti Mondiale Tweaking MM Alljuice Kits??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grilljockey

Junior
Reaction score
Ok...relatively new to winemaking here. I think I already know my answer, but wanted to ask it anyway.

I've read a lot on other forums of some basic tweaks that some use for kits, inlcuing raisins during primary.

I've got three kits bulk aging (one that had raisins added) and just started my first MM Alljuice last night (CDP--Castel de Papa).

Some would say that adding 1 lb of raisins adds to the complexity and mouthfeel. I have my raisins ready, but not sure if I should add them or not.

I'm leaning toward not adding them...but wanted to see if anyone else thinks adding raisins would enhance the kit.

Also....I've not (up to this point) reconstituted yeast before adding to the juice. After about 7 hours, there seems to be a 'scum' forming on the top of the juice in the primary. I assume that is yeast starting its activity, but I've just not seen this yet in other kits. Everything sound ok??

The yeast in our MM Alljuice Reisling acted the same. Formedwhat looked like ameringue on top. Edited by: K&GB

Grilljockey, this is the yeast beginning o come to life and I wouldnt fool around with a good kit like this. these really dont need any help as they are awesome kits the way they are. The raisins you have might give this wine a taste that will be unwanted, probably not but this is such a good kit that it really doesnt need to be fussed with.

My first red kit is an MM AllJuice Castel del Papa that I started on 12/21 and is now bulk aging after the second racking. As a big fan of southern Rhone style wines, I will say thay that I would not add anything to this kit. based on the couple of ounces I tasted when I racked out of secondary, this is a kit that I will make again. The only thing I might do differently is reconstute the yeast to get the fermentation going a little more quickly.

The balance of this wine is as good as some of the best wines (commercial or otherwise) in my memory. I plan to let it rest in the carboy for another 6-8 weeks, and then decide whether or not to add just a little bit of oak.

Thanks all. I'm eating the raisins as I type! I'll leave 'er alone. If it turns out as good as I had hoped, I'll do the Amarone next and get my raisin jones taken care of....

Latest posts

Back