Tweaking a kit with stems

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineview

Still waiting.........
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I watched a video recently where grape stems from the super market were added to the primary fermenter to add some tannin to the kit. After sanitizing equipment etc, wouldn't there be lot's of bacteria going into the fermenter from the stems? How would you get around that?

Thanks

Interesting idea. You could always soak 'em in a sulfite solution briefly before adding them. Or do as one would do with fresh grapes and dose the whole batch, stems and all with ~50ppm of sulfite to knock down any bugs. Then pitch your yeast 24 hours later.

I've been to a few crushes and I don't think a few bugs and or stems make a great deal of difference to the sanation.in the primary.
When fresh grapes are de_stem they come out of the lug into the machine stripped and left to soak in a vat.with chems,or go directly into the primary.
If your talking kit products very little stems. You need to keep an eye on the pH level..sts aren't necessary.

Back