Tuff Tank

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dutchman

Junior
Reaction score
I'm on my third Tuff Tank due to leaking of ferment gas. I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem, and how did they solve it. The company readily swaps out with me, but i'm beginning to feel that they all leak, although supplier swearsthey've not had a problem. I need to keep these 22 gal tanks for the majority of my wine, as I have a space constraint. I pressure tested them, and they leak around the lid and the collar that holds the lid to the tank. Are there other down sides to using plastic tanks? Until I needed larger tanks, 5 gal plastic water carboys did fine for my wines. Glass is just too heavy for thisageing wine maker. Are there any other succesful plastic tanks in the 20 gal sizes, as I can't justify the cost of SS?

Chuck

I have never used the Tuff Tanks, but they are a good option for a slightly larger size. Is it possible that you are screwing the lid down too much- like tightening any gasket too much. If you do instead of slightly compressing the gasket to expand it, it can distort the gasket and cause it to leak. Sometimes a bit of a food safe lube helps-not much just a bit so it can glide like it is supposed to. DO NOT use any petroleum based lube for it.

Good luck with your quest and Welcome here.

Dutchman, I have never used them, butI do use stainless beer kegs for storage sometimes. I get them for scrap prices from the distributor.

Jeff

I use a tank made by FASSERPLAST a German company. They are well made but alittle expensive. I have a 100 liter ($175) a 60 liter ($140) and 2 30 liter tanks($85 aeach). Only oneplace by me carries these tanks from Germany and they do not have a website.Another place by me sellsthe tanks that areimported from Italy and they are a bit more expensive than the ones I have, you can find them at GINOPINTO.COM (I believe he only has the 100 liter AND UP). That website has the best prices on winemaking equipment that you will find anywhere. He supplies all of the commercial wineries in the area.

Thanks coriasco, I've added the site to my favorites. EC Kraus said they tested the tank and it worked properly. However, I've sealed the lid receptacle to the tank body with silicone caulk and will use oil on the o-ring seal to lubricate and hopefully get it airtight.
I aappreciate your reply and will try to get a handle on FASSERPLAST.

Chuck

the Flex Tank which I use has a floating cap.....w this in mind perhaps you can insert a food grade sheet of plastic over your wine....let it sit right on top just like a variable tank capacity stainless steel tank skin

Latest posts

Back