trying to buy a press.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slow learner

Junior
Reaction score
Hello wmt!

I am on the market for a press and I must ask a silly question.

BUT FIRST, what kind of press will work well with wild ohio grapes? I've been picking from around central ohio and, while they have plenty of flavorful goodness, they are not as juicy as grapes that i've seen growing on vinyards. sorry i don't know the variety I am definitely a nouveau forager.

I assume it will be best to freeze them all first. I am open to suggestions. I have about 40 pounds, total.

now for the silly question. A couple weeks ago I mashed and fermented about sixty gallons of apples. Now I realize that, as this is the largest batch of must I've ever worked with, I can't find a suitable way to separate the pulp and skins from the juice. I read Luc's wineblog entry about apple juicing too late, unfortunately. So, assuming I buy a press this weekend:

has anyone ever tried to press pulpy must?

is there a style of press that can handle such a strange request?

Thanks for reading and i can't wait to hear what y'all think!

ps here's a link to a winepress for sale near enough to me. there's no info included but maybe some of you with more experience could tell me a thing or two about it's suitability.
http://columbus.craigslist.org/for/1970719014.html

thanks again!

Well I'm a lucky man. I just bought an old block press from the son in law of a late wine-maker. Am I wrong to even consider pressing things like crushed apples and pears in an antique like this one?

Any tips for keeping it in good working order for decades to come? It has a copper basin and iron hardware. The wood also appears to be completely saturated with grape juice.

Cheers!

The wood also appears to be completely saturated with grape juice.

Cheers![/QUOTE]

This just adds to the character. Good for you. I would love to be able to justify spending the money.

Good luck with your question.

Latest posts

Back