WineXpert Trying something new with Aussie Chard.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:u
Well the Chards been bottle for a while now. The flavor is excellent! It has a real nice mouth feel and an equally nice finish and the wife is now MAD at me because I won't let her drink anymore, I want to age it a little more. But I’s convicted that this is a nice technique to add some nice flavor to Chards, and other appropriate whites. I’m getting 18 gallons of Chilean Chard and will put it through MLF and batonnage. I think the “Chateau Des Trois Chien” 2012 chardonnay will be most excellent. :try :dg

Guys and Gals, I have had a bottle of Steve's Chardonnay and believe me, what he says is "no brag, just fact!"

Robie, the plan was to buy fresh juice. I do I plan on racking prior to fermenting though to avoid having a "mystery yeast" ferment the juice. I'd rather have my own do the work. MLF is still an option right? I would think you have to have butter on the biscuit.

Well.. I read this thread, and did a bit of googling about the commercial whites I actually *do* like. (I am a fan of good aussie chards and NZ sb's) I discovered they use the technique a lot commercially on lots of whites I buy, soo.... I'm gonna bite. My plan was to make a "quick drinking white" while I have a bunch of reds in carboys aging, but my inner princess couldn't resist the combination of reading some of the experienced reviews here who have tested the results, and seeing the exact same WE selections international Aussie Chard kit for $20 off locally. So I'm repeating the experiment to see if it's reproducable with the exact same parameters ;) (I was going to do a Sauvingnon Blanc) - and now my white will be a bit less quick drinking (I suppose I can always drink skeeter pee).. Just pitched the yeast, SG 1.086.

So thanks for the inspiration shoebiedoo! I hope mine turns out good as well.

Last edited:
Well.. I read this thread, and did a bit of googling about the commercial whites I actually *do* like. (I am a fan of good aussie chards and NZ sb's) I discovered they use the technique a lot commercially on lots of whites I buy, soo.... I'm gonna bite. My plan was to make a "quick drinking white" while I have a bunch of reds in carboys aging, but my inner princess couldn't resist the combination of reading some of the experienced reviews here who have tested the results, and seeing the exact same WE selections international Aussie Chard kit for $20 off locally. So I'm repeating the experiment to see if it's reproducable with the exact same parameters ;) (I was going to do a Sauvingnon Blanc) - and now my white will be a bit less quick drinking (I suppose I can always drink skeeter pee).. Just pitched the yeast, SG 1.086.

So thanks for the inspiration shoebiedoo! I hope mine turns out good as well.

Good luck on your new technique. Start another thread and keep us informed.

After a nice conversation with Winexperts' Tim Vandergrift, I thought I’d give a technique called ‘battonage’ a try (http://www.finevinewines.com/Buttery-Chardonnay.htm)
I thought keep everyone up to date on my progress.

I’m using Selections, International Australian Chardonnay kit for this experiment (if you want to call it that). That happens to be my wife’s favorite kit so the pressure’s on <grin>. Following the kit instructions, I started the wine on 10/24. The initial SG was 1.086.

Racked to secondary yesterday (10/30) when the sg was down to 1.002 using a vacuum pump. Tried to get as much of the leis as I could, I need them for the ‘battonage’ later. The residual oak and bentonite was left behind.

That’s it for now. Hope you enjoy following along!

This wine was entered in the indianna wine making competition ans was awarded with a silver medal. Post the tasting notes when I get them

I am making this Chard. I am right at the point I can try this so I think I will. I guess I will have to make another chard for my husband to drink so this can sit.

I am making this Chard. I am right at the point I can try this so I think I will. I guess I will have to make another chard for my husband to drink so this can sit.
that is key !!!!! you must have something else to consume as this adds months minimum to the process but is well worth the wait..

Have a quick question. Is this method only for Chardonnay wine or will it work for any type of wine. I made a RJS argentinian wine which was a mixture of vognier/Reisling/Chardonnay and it was bottled last week Monday. We tasted a bottle last night ( I know we should wait at least a month) and it was very harsh almost tart tasting. Would this method have helped with it?

With out knowing the details (aging times etc ) I would guess it's too early and that's why it's a little harsh. As far as botonnage is concerned I'm not sure I would try it with that blend. It definitely wouldn't be compatible with vionier and its a maybe with reisling. The only other while I would do it with is a savingnon blanc.

Have a quick question. Is this method only for Chardonnay wine or will it work for any type of wine. I made a RJS argentinian wine which was a mixture of vognier/Reisling/Chardonnay and it was bottled last week Monday. We tasted a bottle last night ( I know we should wait at least a month) and it was very harsh almost tart tasting. Would this method have helped with it?

There are cases where lees aging and stirring have been reported successful for Riesling, but it is not a common process for the wine. This process can suppress some of the fruitiness/floweriness of a wine. Trouble is, such qualities are the hallmark of a Riesling. However, this blend is not just a Riesling.

What is important is if YOU like it or not. As a matter of fact, not all Chardonnay drinkers like the nutty, biscuity, yeastie results of this process. I happen to like it, but do YOU? But even I don't like it if this process is done too long. The longer the aging/stirring is done, the more pronounced the resulting taste. Some large Burgundian wine makers do the lees aging but don't do the stirring. This results in an even smoother, milder resulting taste.

EXPERIMENT!

Next time you make this blend, after fermentation, split the batch into two carboys. Do one carboy the regular way; do lees aging and stirring on the other. After the batches are about 6 months old, taste them and decide for yourself. As a bench test and in smaller quantities, try blending the two back together in differing proportions to see if you can find that sweet spot.

After you do all this, let us know how it turned out.

I started a WE Aussie Chardonnay back in January. After racking it to the secondary (racking plenty of sediment, and topping off with water), I stirred it twice a week until the end of June. I added the supplied packet of k-meta a month after transferring to the secondary, then another 1/8 tsp in May.

Beginning in July, I racked off the sediment, added the included sorbate, de-gassed, and added the included clearing agent. I let it clear for 2 weeks, then racked, and topped off with a bottle of commercial chardonnay. It's been sitting until now...I was planning on bottling it this weekend, so I drew a glass to taste...WOW! It's very buttery, and very smooth. I actually drew another glass...LOL!

Battonage for this chardonnay is definitely the way to go if you don't barrel age. I think a month is too short a time...give it a few.

Peace,
Bob

Robie is right though! to each his own. We've found a month and a half is perfect for the kits (Aussie) Chardonnay's But that's just us. But it does make a difference for sure.

I generally do it after racking from primary and it's dry. There usually isn't too much on the bottom. Maybe a 1/4 inch or so

I generally do it after racking from primary and it's dry. There usually isn't too much on the bottom. Maybe a 1/4 inch or so

Did you do any other additions of K-meta other than the supplied pack during the process?

Pitched my yeast yesterday in an EP Chard and will be trying out battonnage.

cheers

Latest posts

Back