WineXpert Trying something new with Aussie Chard.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thx

another question if you dont mind. At what point did you degas?

cheers

I'm glad you asked,I should have clarified. Once the fermentation is complete all you add is k-metta. Once battonagge is done you finish the wine like you normally would. Degassing it as well as adding the clarifying agents and more k-metta. Does that answer your question?

Yes and THx again. I'll let you know how things go in a few months.

cheers

I'm glad I found this post. I had a friend visit last week, and she loved the Zin I had made, and requested a buttery, oaky chardonnay. That's pretty much the type chardonnay I enjoy as well, so I told her I'd give it a shot.

I'll pick up a kit to try the battonage process. I very much like the WE kits, but would you suggest the Eclipse or the Selection for this?

On the FVW site, he mentions adding oak powder before fermentation. Easy enough, but any suggestions on type or toast?

Also, what oak for post fermentation, and when would I put that in? Should I add it when doing the battonage, or wait until I am done with that and clearing to add cubes. How long should I leave it on the oak? Again, suggestions on type or toast of oak to use?

I'm glad I found this post. I had a friend visit last week, and she loved the Zin I had made, and requested a buttery, oaky chardonnay. That's pretty much the type chardonnay I enjoy as well, so I told her I'd give it a shot.

I'll pick up a kit to try the battonage process. I very much like the WE kits, but would you suggest the Eclipse or the Selection for this?

On the FVW site, he mentions adding oak powder before fermentation. Easy enough, but any suggestions on type or toast?

Also, what oak for post fermentation, and when would I put that in? Should I add it when doing the battonage, or wait until I am done with that and clearing to add cubes. How long should I leave it on the oak? Again, suggestions on type or toast of oak to use?

I would get the Selections. I used to do it with the RJS En Premeur kits, but didn't really notice a big difference. at Least not worth the extra money.

Hope that helps

Reporting in

I did my EP chard battonage as described by shoebiedoo and though it was very good. i had no original wine to compare it with. I had made the Chard without stirring before and it also was very good. I read that some yeasts are better than others for this process rather than the EC1118 supplied.

cheers

I have my batch of the WE Selection going now. Yesterday I transferred to secondary after 8 days in primary. I added about 30g of medium toast oak cubes - like I said earlier, my friend requested it buttery and very oaky!

I'll be stirring it this afternoon when I buy some chardonnay to top it off, then will be stirring every other day for a bit.

I'm really interested to see how this one comes out!

After a nice conversation with Winexperts' Tim Vandergrift, I thought I’d give a technique called ‘battonage’ a try

Shoebiedoo, I had read this thread with interest from the beginning, and have decided to give this a try. I reread the thread just now, and was a bit surprised to see that you never mentioned what yeast you used (unless I missed it!). Can you tell me what yeast you used?

I was planning to use D47, which I think I saw @robie or @cintipam or @heatherd recommend somewhere along the line....

Basically, any advice on yeast selection appreciated, anyone!

Shoebiedoo, I had read this thread with interest from the beginning, and have decided to give this a try. I reread the thread just now, and was a bit surprised to see that you never mentioned what yeast you used (unless I missed it!). Can you tell me what yeast you used?

I was planning to use D47, which I think I saw @robie or @cintipam or @heatherd recommend somewhere along the line....

Basically, any advice on yeast selection appreciated, anyone!

To be honest, I just used the EC118 that came with the kit. I was happy with the results from the vary beginning so I didn't see a reason to change.

Paul, did you end up using the D47 and proceed with the battonage procedure? Just curious since I have a WE Eclipse Sonoma DC Chard bubbling away at this point using D47. Wondering if I want to delay making the Chard an early drinker for some extra gratification by waiting and following throught with the battonage process.

Paul, did you end up using the D47 and proceed with the battonage procedure? Just curious since I have a WE Eclipse Sonoma DC Chard bubbling away at this point using D47. Wondering if I want to delay making the Chard an early drinker for some extra gratification by waiting and following throught with the battonage process.

Craig, I did indeed use D47, and I am doing some sur lie aging. I am doing a little battonage, but have been a little lazy to date. I have only stirred heavily about once a week or not even that.

Here is a thread where I am/was documenting my progress on this particular batch:
http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50851

Craig, I did indeed use D47, and I am doing some sur lie aging. I am doing a little battonage, but have been a little lazy to date. I have only stirred heavily about once a week or not even that.

Here is a thread where I am/was documenting my progress on this particular batch:
http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=50851

Yeah, I've gotten to that point, mostly because of work. Affter the 1st week, once a week is all I stir. To be honest, I haven't really noticed a huge difference.

I stirred mine yesterday for the first time in about 3 weeks. I snuck a little taste, and for the first time I've noticed a bit of a difference. It's starting to come around nicely. Now I'll have to see how it is in a couple weeks, then I'll start adding oak.

Latest posts

Back