Trying MLF first time

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vvolf34

Reaction score
I decided to try MLF on the Apfelwein recipe. I started the Apfelwein in my plastic fermenter. Should I transfer over to a carboy like usual, let it finish then add the MLF or wait for it to finish in the plastic, rack then do MLF. Or leave it in plastic for both then rack? It is a 3 gallon batch, SG 1.060.

I haven't done an mlf on apple wine but do put all my red grape wines thru mlf. I would definitely rack the wine over to carboy to help keep the wine from oxidizing during the majority of the mlf. When to rack over is a subject up for debate. If the wine is made from real fruit I'd rack off the gross lees after the wine ferments dry and then add the mlf bacteria. If from juice you could rack over to carboy around 1.010 and add mlf bacteria at that point if you want to. Theres a few thoughts for you. Hopefully others will chime in and give an opinion too.

Is this batch that high in malic acid that it treally needs it, usually the only fruit wine thats high enough to need this is Blackberry and even that usually doesnt need it. I would also do MLF in carboy but I usually let it finish fermenting. Apple can oxidize very easily so I would hit it with ascorbic acid as this will not hinder fermentation but will help protect it from oxidizing.

I decided to try MLF on the Apfelwein recipe. I started the Apfelwein in my plastic fermenter. Should I transfer over to a carboy like usual, let it finish then add the MLF or wait for it to finish in the plastic, rack then do MLF. Or leave it in plastic for both then rack? It is a 3 gallon batch, SG 1.060.

I mlf my grape wines . I ferment to dryness then rack into carboy and add my mlf culture and i also use optimala plus which is an mlf nutrient make sure that your must is at least 70 degrees wrap your carboy with ablanket or use a carboy belt .
carmine

Thank for the advice, I just racked tonight, it is at SG 1.010.

I am doing MLF as an experiment. I read about it on the huge apfelwein forum. Just want to try it out.

Apple juice is one of the higher malic acid content fruits there is, so malo will work well to round it out. The best apple wines I have made I used mlb on. That said, the amount of acid in it to begin with depends on the variety and ripeness of the apples used-just like grapes. You did the right thing getting it in the glass before innoculating. The optimalo nutrient works well to supplement any slight lees left at racking. Stir it gently once a day for a few weeks. Just gently rock the carboy to stir it up a bit.

Thanks for the tip Grapeman!! I had heard MLF on apple juice wine makes it better, so I am a scientist at heart!! I love to experiment!

Latest posts

Back