Transferring to secondary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wannabe

Reaction score
Have started a batch of cranberry wine. It's fermenting nicely in the primary. I have a couple of questions before I move it to the secondary. I have the cranberries in a sack and wonder if I leave them in there right up until I move it to the secondary or do I take them out when it reaches a certain specific gravity? Also, is it important that I transfer it at .01 or can I let it keep going a little longer just to be sure it's finished? And lastly, I read on Jack Keller's site that once the fruit has been removed, it's important to stir the sediment up from the bottom and take it over into the secondary. I haven't seen anyone mention doing that on here. Does everyone do that? Thanks for your advice

When it gets to 1.002-1.001 is id squeeze all of the juice out of the bags and ferment it to dry then you can rack it over and leave the sediment behind. Save the lees and make a batch of skeeter pee! Should be really good with the cranberry!

you do want a bit of the sediment cause thats where some nutrients and yeast are but dont need all.. usually youll get enough when racking into secondary but i wouldnt stir it up before you rack..

Id pull the fruit out after 10 days max and then its up to you whether you want to rack it or let it ferment dry with lid and airlock on once sg reaches about 1.015 or there abouts. I always ferment to dry with darker wines and usually with lighter wines.

There are a few schools of thought here and on other forums. It's a matter of preference or how you were taught.

For me I remove fruit once the gravity reaches 1.020 By this time the fruit is nothing but pulp from the pectic enzyme chewing it up. I will from there ferment dry in the primary then rack once dry and leave sediment/gross lees behind or...make a skeeter pee.

Some folks like to rack to a carboy and ferment dry in there. Only problem here is you need to watch that you do not get a stuck fermentation from a lack of oxygen that yeast despirately need. At this time the environment is getting terrible for yeasts to survive. They are crowding themselves and yeasts will give off another type of sulfite which can also stress the yeasts and can also create other flavors undesirable to your wine. Stirring is easier in a bucket as opposed to a carboy, short of removing the airlock and now you've just defeated the purpose of the carboy. IMO

Keeping an active fermentation will allow for a timely finish and the CO2 given off will help protect your wine. Rack as soon as the gravity fails to decline any further plus a day or two. I snap on a lid with an airlock at this time, just my personal preference.

Id pull the fruit out after 10 days max and then its up to you whether you want to rack it or let it ferment dry with lid and airlock on once sg reaches about 1.015 or there abouts. I always ferment to dry with darker wines and usually with lighter wines.
I agree w/ Wade. remove pulp @ 1.015-1.020. I however let it drip (no squeezing). A easy way is sanitize a collendar and pot. Put pulp in strainer and then add juice. Squeezing will cloud the wine and is unneccessary.

I however let it drip (no squeezing). A easy way is sanitize a collendar and pot. Put pulp in strainer.QUOTE]

What I have done just recently was to remove the fruit with a spag. collander and place all the fruit into another bucket. Tightly snap on a lid then unsnap one, turn it over at about a 30-45 degree angle and let it drip into my primary. The lid will keep the fruit from spilling out and the one catch willb allow the juice to flow out.

After about a half hour all of the juice has dripped off of the fruit and now I can dispose of the fruit to the garden. Gotta get every drop. Squeezing can add extra pulp and tannins to your wine.

Latest posts

Back