Trans-Plant

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

9CourseWineMusician

Sic Semper Verum Vinum
Reaction score
This might be a stupid question, and I pray none take offense, but I am curious. As long as the soil and conditions are right: is it conceivably possible to transplant fully-grown, mature, adult vines to a new location?

Thanks!

I would worry about a stable and established tap-root. Like if you cut off a mature plant's tap will it grow another one in the new location to find water? Hmmmm...... :-/

Mature vines do NOT transplant WELL. It can be done, but you will not gain anything by doing it, and it is a heck of a lot more work trying to dig up enough root for it to take well. Why do you ask?

I would say if you have time to propagate it and plant those, that might be a better way to go. But if you have to remove it tomorrow and your only option is transplantation, start digging. If you do this, start digging on the new location first. Also take cuttings to hedge your bets (I kill almost without exception every cutting I try.)

I am just curious to see if times have changed since, say, Thomas Jefferson's day - when he tried to transplant vines from fields in Kent, England (granted, I realize we are talking about two totally different world regions) - but his wine making suffered as a result of these plants not 'working' until he discovered the amazing Norton Grape (here in VA!).

Latest posts

Back