Training Vines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teamsterjohn

Reaction score
Today I was training my vines, a piece of the new growth broke off. Should I be putting anything over/on the part of the broken vine? And if I put the broking piece in soil, would it take? Thanks John

Kidding of course..

It’s never a good feeling when you accidentally break off a branch.. That alone can mean starting over at times. The new growth isn’t old enough to grow on its own unfortunately.

Ben Franklin once said, "In wine, there is wisdom..." He didnt mention the huge amount of patience! Take your time, let nature take its course; the next branch will grow in even stronger than the last.

If the shoots are breaking easily when handling, it is too soon to try to train them. As they become lignified a bit more, they become more pliable.

You could try putting the broken shoot into a jar of water and set in the shade. It could potentially root as a green cutting, but not likely. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Its been raining and the windy so the branches really needed to be secured before the wind did its damaged. So really nothing needs to be put on the branch that broke. I did see in Home Depot something to put on the end of trimmed branches, but not sure if we needed to do that. Or to spray on some sulfur over the brake.

Latest posts

Back