Topping Off

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bub307

Reaction score
I have three different wines that need topping off is it ok to use vodka? will it mess with the tast?

I always use a similar bottle of wine, I think vodka would throw it off.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

ImageUploadedByWine Making1415153617.811113.jpg

Here is the wine this is the second racking do the need topping off?
They are grape peach, grape raspberry, apple and apple cinnamon what wine would you use?

Yes, they all need topping off.

Don't use anything but a similar wine for topping off.

The only exceptions to this might be 1) topping off a port, which you already know needs a boost in ABV.

2) Some of the kit manufacturers say you can use water to top off. I would still use a like-wine, but you really won't go wrong following the kit instructions.

Think I would just use the apple wine to top off the rest. When you make the wines, make a little more of each one. put the extra in a wine bottle and save it in the refrigerator. you can use it to top off later. Of course you will have to make the wines in a larger primary so it will hold the extra that won't fit in the carboy. Arne.

I'd go with White Zinfandel. If you get Carlo Rossi that will provide you with an additional small jug when it is gone. That grape raspberry would be the most unlike the zin, and I really really don't think it would make a significant difference. Before I had a stockpile I used white zin a lot with my fruit wines.

pam in cinti

Totally agree with cintipam.

white zin would work well. on the grape I might use a simple red table wine. again, carlo rossi makes a few of those too. and they're fairly inexpensive.

I'd go with White Zinfandel. If you get Carlo Rossi that will provide you with an additional small jug when it is gone. That grape raspberry would be the most unlike the zin, and I really really don't think it would make a significant difference. Before I had a stockpile I used white zin a lot with my fruit wines.

pam in cinti

Latest posts

Back