Topping Off

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mailman

Junior
Reaction score
Hi : Brand new to wine making...I hope to learn alot at this forum.

I haven't even started my first batch of wine yet, (still waiting for equip. and kit). I have a million questions. Actually more like five or six. I'll only ask a couple on this posting.

1). Is stirring necessary when you top off your carboy?

2). When cleaning and sanitizing your bucket for primary fermentation, do you rinse the cleaner out with water before adding the sanitizer? In the instructional video on the site, George didn't rinse.

Any help appreciated

Green Horn

1) stirring after topping up is not needed but make sure when topping up that you are using something that doesnt have sugar in it if you have not added sulfite and sorbate or you could start the fermentation progress over again.
2) Most cleansers are no-rinse but in my opinion they still need to be rinsed as they will eventually leave a residue build up. Bring on any more questions as thats what we are here for!

Thanks Wade:

On my way to my real job now, but will definatley have more questions later. Thanks for your response, I appreciate it.

Have a good one..

IM A NEWBIE TO BUT WADE DONT LIE. I HAVE BEEN MAKING WINE FOR OVER A YEAR NOW AND I BELEIVE MYSELF TO STILL BE AN AMATUER. THERES ALOT OF KNOWLEDGABLE PEOPLE ON THIS FORUM THOUGH THAT CAN REALLY HELP, BUT WELCOME.

Green Horn, welcome to the Forum. These folks have never let me down with answers to my questions!! BTW, I always rinse my primary buckets and all my equipment. Enjoy the fun!!
smiley36.gif

Green Horn welcome!
smiley32.gif

What will be your 1st wine?

Need help in choosing one. You would want one that do not need aging.

Tepe:

Thanks for the welcome. My first wine will be a green apple
Reisling. It does not require much, if any, firmentation, and was not that expensive. Just trying to get my feet wet at this point. As a matter of fact I successfully completed making the must, and combining all componants this morning. My wine is now resting peacefully in the cellar. This wine was only 7ltr. of concentrate, it was quite a feat fetting the juice and water temps perfect at the same time to add yeast and such. But I got the yeast in at exactly 75 degrees. Now we wait.

Have a good one. Doug (green horn)

Just follow the directions and you will be fine. You chose a nice "patio" wine ( very tasty).

Keep us posted.

Where you from?

Whats up? I'm from western New York. South of Buffalo.

Hey.. so now that I am in 1st fermentation mode, do I just let it go for four or five days before checking it, or what. The instructions are not clear in this matter. Thanks for the help..

Later....Doug

Read forward with the instructions as they tell you to draw a sample after 5-7n days and take an sg reading as it should be at 1.010 or less and that is when you will rack your wine into carboy.

Thanks Wade:

So I assume in the mean-time there is no reason for disturbing it.

It does say to check the S.G. in about six days. On the instructional video I remember George C. Saying (when checking the S.G. after about five days) that he probably could have racked it a day sooner. Also in my instructions it says to trust the S.G.ometer (sorry I forgot the actual nomenclature), and not so much the six day guide line. Just a bit confused. I swear when I am at work I can think of a million questions, and when I'm sitting here I draw a blanc (pun). Thanks to all for being so helpful and tolerant. This forum is a blessing to a "green horn".

Ciao...............Doug

You could check it a little earlier with your hydrometer but its no big deal if it goes a little further then what is stated. Wine making is a very forgiving hobby and a few days here and there will not hurt anything.

Latest posts

Back