WineXpert Topping Off

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wild Duk

Reaction score
I had a question on the steps 3 and 4 of my WE Cab. Merlot kit. They both mention topping off, but only in step 4 after you rack the wine does it mention to top off with a similar wine. Step 3 it just says to use water ( or wine from Susse-Reserve addition, which I don't have)....

So should I do as it says and first top it off with water, then later after racking to another caboy, use he wine....or what...

Thx

I used a shot of N2 and didn't top off at all thinking I'd dilute the wine if I used water. (My LHBS said this was the way some of them did it and it was ok. That was preGeorge and this forum.). Now after a couple of years more kits and nearly that in aging some of these WE reds,I really don't think it makes much difference although I still haven't used water, just similar wines -either kit or commercial. And, I am happy to report, these WE premium red kits are coming around so I am beginning to enjoy them.

I also us clear glass marbles that you can purchase at your local dollar store. Just make sure they are clear and not painted.

WE kits can be topped off with an extra liter of water. They have already accounted for you doing so in fact. You may also top off with a similar wine, glass marbles or rack down to a 5 gallon carboy and put the extra in bottles or a half gallon jug (yes both need to have an air lock.
VPC

wild duk, if I have to top off a WE kit that states in the directions you can top off with water, I go 1/2 and 1/2. 1/2 water, 1/2 similar wine. That way you have the other half of that wine to drink while you are working!
smiley36.gif

Latest posts

Back