WineXpert top off or not top off

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blazer

Junior
Reaction score
line 3.7 on the instructions say topping off the carboy during clearing process is not required, so I guess you have to top off when aging, would that be correct?
California cabernet reserve Merlot

I believe them when they say that, but I've always topped off at that point. I believe them, I just don't trust it because I tend to forget about it for weeks at a time. You're making Merlot, so what I would do is get a reasonable bottle of that and fill it up. 2 buck Chuck or something similar. A Cabernet would work fine also. The volume to top off isn't very much, so it won't affect the flavor much if any.

line 3.7 on the instructions say topping off the carboy during clearing process is not required, so I guess you have to top off when aging, would that be correct?
California cabernet reserve Merlot

The way I always interpret that direction is, if you are following the timelines of the kit, as in plan to bottle at 4, 6, 8 weeks whatever. Then topping up is not required, but any more than that top up with a like wine.

The way I always interpret that direction is, if you are following the timelines of the kit, as in plan to bottle at 4, 6, 8 weeks whatever. Then topping up is not required, but any more than that top up with a like wine.

I agree! This btw is another reason why I like to do EM. Because it enables you to get another 8 weeks of age on the wine without having to top up with commercial.

I agree! This btw is another reason why I like to do EM. Because it enables you to get another 8 weeks of age on the wine without having to top up with commercial.

I generally don't do EM. I am going to agree for six months to a year anyway and the ones time I did it, I didn't really notice much difference. If you plan to bottle sooner, I guess it might matter.

I switched to doing a combo of flushing with argon then pulling a vacuum, and subsequently stopped worrying about headspace.

Just be sure to use a "solid" rubber stopper with an airlock. Personally I only top off, if needed, with a similar wine up to just after the carboy starts to taper. 👨‍🍳

Latest posts

Back