Topping off with Co2

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vscottcolorado

Reaction score
I have read that you can top off a 6 gallon carboy that is bulk aging 5 gallons of wine with Co2 gas. Does any one have thoughts on this?Would you recommend doing this? It seems that everytime I go to Rack all my 5 gallon carboys are full.

I purchased a Co2 bicycle tire inflator and it seems it will do the trick. How often do you have to add Co2 to the carboy if done this way?

CO2 will work, as it is about 1.5x heavier than air. The problem is that if you shoot CO2 into the headspace you risk reversing the degassing of your wine. Argonworks well, and doesn't carry the same risk.

Thanks Peter....
Since I didn't get any responses yesterday, I went out and purchased some glass marbles. After 12lbs I still had 3-4 Inches of head space.
The wine came from 80lbs of Lodi Cabernet Grapes, first attempt at fresh grapes.
The wine is bulk aging on American oak now. Is there anything I could do to continue to use the Co2? Maybe degassing every 2-3 weeks then shoot another shot of Co2? Argon is not readily available from what I have found.
Thoughts please!

I have been using a CO2 tank to protect the surface of wine in extended maceration in the primaries to great effect. I also used it to add a layer of protection to any small containers that weren't all the way full (since I had it already). The wine is at room temperature and I just let a very small flow of gas into the container instead of an abrupt blast, I have noticed no visibible increase in CO2 levels in the wine in storage and the wine in the primaries have continued to degas.

- Jim

Argon should be available at welding supply stores. Also, check the yellow pages for Gas - Industrial and Medical.

Latest posts

Back