Topping off the carboy

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

banannabiker

Reaction score
I started a 6 gallon batch of grape/cranberry about 3 weeks ago. I used 100% juice (gallon jugs from the grocery store), added the sugar to get the sg where i wanted it, and then yeast etc. After the primary fermentation, I transfered to a carboy-and of course had some room at the top. Because the fermentation was still going on (at a slow rate), and because I degassed it a time or two after I put it into the carboy-I left the good sized air gap at the top of the carboy (with an air lock) It has now been three weeks, and I am about ready to siphon off the wine into another carboy-but I know that I will have a significant air gap at the top-probably could add 2-3 quarts to get the wine into the neck. Should I use good filtered water, or something else to top it off with? I have heard about f-packs, but understand that they are normally used toward the end of the process-and after all yeast has been killed off. I didn't really want to kill off the yeast yet-but I'm not sure whether that is a good idea. So, if this were your wine, would you: (1) Top off with water (2) Top off with juice-which will probably kick fermentation back into slow gear (3) Kill off the yeast and then take some other step....(I don't know what).

Thanks

I wanted to say that I do have a couple of good fruit wines going-one is bottled and one is still aging. I know this grape/cranberry is kind of a cheap and easy way to go-but I am trying to get something that I can drink fairly soon-so I won't be tempted to bottle my fruit wine (elderberry/blueberry) too soon.:(

Personally, topping with water appears just below jumping out the window on my to-do list.

I would top with a subtle white, like a pinot grigio.

Last edited:
marbles

one option would be to purchase marbles online and top it up with steralized marbles if your going to make lots of wine it works well and you don't have to worry about tainting your wine

one option would be to purchase marbles online and top it up with steralized marbles if your going to make lots of wine it works well and you don't have to worry about tainting your wine

The biggest down side being that the marbles interfere with the wine clearing. The sediment that falls out collects on top of the marbles and it is either sucked up when you rack or you lose additional wine.

first couple of racks

the idea would be to use marbles for the first rack or two, ive never had to rack more than four times using marbles its just another option for beginners

About 1600 standard sized 3/4 inch diameter marbles per gallon of displacement.

I started a 6 gallon batch of grape/cranberry about 3 weeks ago. I used 100% juice (gallon jugs from the grocery store), added the sugar to get the sg where i wanted it, and then yeast etc. After the primary fermentation, I transfered to a carboy-and of course had some room at the top. Because the fermentation was still going on (at a slow rate), and because I degassed it a time or two after I put it into the carboy-I left the good sized air gap at the top of the carboy (with an air lock) It has now been three weeks, and I am about ready to siphon off the wine into another carboy-but I know that I will have a significant air gap at the top-probably could add 2-3 quarts to get the wine into the neck. Should I use good filtered water, or something else to top it off with? I have heard about f-packs, but understand that they are normally used toward the end of the process-and after all yeast has been killed off. I didn't really want to kill off the yeast yet-but I'm not sure whether that is a good idea. So, if this were your wine, would you: (1) Top off with water (2) Top off with juice-which will probably kick fermentation back into slow gear (3) Kill off the yeast and then take some other step....(I don't know what).

Thanks

Sorry for such a late response, as you have likely already done something about this.

When your level of wine is that short, marbles are not a very practical alternative; it would take so many of them.

For next time, if you have a 6 gallon batch, which is a little short, you would be much better off getting a 5 gallon carboy to rack into. I know they are expensive, but if you continue to make wine, this situation will come up again and again. Get a 3 gallon carboy and some gallon jugs while you are at it.

Had you racked down to a 5 gallon carboy, you would likely have had enough wine left over to fill a 750 ml bottle or maybe a 1.7 liter bottle. This way you wouldn't waste anything.

That's actually pretty good advice, robie. Looks like I'm off to the Wine Cellar downtown to buy some more supplies!

When I rack mine out of the primary into secondary, if there is space left, I fill with more juice. It starts fermenting again, but only for a very short time. So, in doing that, I'm increasing my wine amount while not diluting anything along the way. I rack into a slightly smaller carboy when racking after that.

Because the fermentation was still going on (at a slow rate), and because I degassed it a time or two after I put it into the carboy-

You aren't de-gassing before fermentation is complete, are you?

Last edited:
Lesser vintage can top nicely

BB
I really like my last attempt at grape cranberry.
Yes it may have been cheap but I have purchased far worse wine.
Everyone loved it and most have asked me to remember them next time.
My first attempt was entirely too sweet as I omitted the proper volume of water.
Reading the threads here it was suggested to use it in subsequent batches
For just this use.
Might keep that in mind and keep up some half or gallon jugs for future headroom issues in your carboy.

Best of luck

Al - a.k.a sevenal

Latest posts

Back