topping off question.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rem1

Reaction score
I have a wht. merlot in the final clearing stage. When racking from fermenter to 6 gal. carboy I had enough wine to 3/4 fill a 750 ml bottle. This was two weeks ago. I put a airlock on the bottle hoping to use it to top off with the next racking.
Question: Is there to much air in the 750ml bottle to "spoil" the wine. Or should it be ok to top off with during my last racking (racking & clarification) stage? Its been stabilising & clearing for two weeks.

Thanks

In my opinion the wine in the bottle will be fine to top off with. The wine was still finishing fermenting itself so it used up the 02 in the bottle and replaced it with C02. I always keep the extra when I get it and use it for topping up. Just be careful you don't dump any lees in when you use it.

I agree, youll be fine as there is so little room in there for O2 and CO2 has most likely displaced that volume anyway.
Edited by: wade

I usually use a half bottle in those cases, even if a little gets wasted. If the wine is not fermenting at a pretty good rate I would expect some oxidation. This might even be notable in a taste comparison with the full carboy after a week or so.

Back