Topping a super tuscan?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elmer

Reaction score
Know this is a bit early in the life of super Tuscan. However I will be at the liquor store today and need to buy stuff to top off with.
Racking down to 5 gallon is not on option since I have my 5 gallon carboy full for awhile.

I have read that you can use either a merlot, cab sav or Sangiovese.

Since I have no clue what a super Tuscan tastes like I don't know if one of these are a ether fit than the other !

Any recommendations?

I think any of those would be appropriate but I would probably go with the Merlot. It is my go to wine for topping any red wines. It is very neutral and works well with any red wine.

Yep, any of those would work. If you have access to a Trader Joe's they have some pretty decent ones for $5.99 a bottle

Stick to Sangiovese. This is the premier grape of Tuscany and the Denominazione di origine controllata

You can get a bottle of 09 Casa Di Terra from Bolgheri Tuscany for $12.
Buy two...you'll want to drink one.
It's the chePest super Tuscan on the market.

I've got an RJS WS Super Tuscan in primary and will be using a Merlot to top off when the time comes. Why? Because Merlot is what I have on hand. Also, because of the grape skin pack, there really won't be much topping off needed. Instruction have you filling primary to 23L and then adding the pack which results in winding up with maybe 24L or so of juice/wine in the primary.

bkisel said:
I've got an RJS WS Super Tuscan in primary and will be using a Merlot to top off when the time comes. Why? Because Merlot is what I have on hand. Also, because of the grape skin pack, there really won't be much topping off needed. Instruction have you filling primary to 23L and then adding the pack which results in winding up with maybe 24L or so of juice/wine in the primary.

I did the same thing, however now in secondary I am about a liter under 6 gallon.
I have to imagine when I transfer to bulk age I will be atleast another liter under as well.
As previously stated I don't want to rack down to a 5 and you with having play around with having to find a container for what is left over above 5 gallon.

I'm new to this but a liter sounds like a lot of loss except for perhaps off the gross lees. After racking off the gross lees I don't use the tip of the racking cane which allows more wine to be transferred, with just a little left behind, and if careful little or no sediment being carried over. Now that I bulk age a bit I wind up with 4 rackings start to bottling and haven't yet noticed any sediment issues. Whites and the one blush I've done get bottled to clear bottles. With reds I'll bottle one clear 750ML bottle which makes it easier to check for sediment. So far so good.

Oh, I will use marbles ifin there is not a whole lot of topping off needed. Also, a plus for using BB (I've got two) is there is much less topping off needed for my 23L non grape pack kits.

Last edited:
When racking off the gross lees, I put something like this down at the bottom of the bucket:
7%22+Mesh+Strainer.jpg

First, I rack off most of the wine. Next, I set the strainer gently down into the muck. (I sanitize it first, of course.) I then put the racking cane into the "bowl" of the strainer. This allows me to go to the bottom of "the water table" without sucking up the lees.

You can get a bottle of 09 Casa Di Terra from Bolgheri Tuscany for $12.
Buy two...you'll want to drink one.
It's the chePest super Tuscan on the market.

Thanks for advice.
I went to liquor store and they only had 4 or 5 bottles of Sangoviesse.
I ended up getting 2 bottles of a 2011, for just over $10 a bottle. Sorry I can not remember the name.
It was the only bottle which refered to itself as a "super tuscan" it also had a nice description of its flavor.
I figure 2 bottles may hold me off, topping off over the next year. And this way I can be consistant.

I also picked up a bottle of little Black dress merlot, which my wife likes to drink, but I can use to top off anything.

Back