Top up ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

harleydmn

Reaction score
I got 2 6gal carboys with Chilean Sauc Blanc in the secondary. I racked them from the primary at sg 1.010. On Monday I check 1 of them and the sg was 1.000. The problem is I am going on vacation for 12 days. Should I top these up or will they be ok. I bougfht 2 -5 gal carboys just so I wouldn't have to top them off but didn't want to rack them until they were finished fermenting. Should I just let them go till I get home, top them off now or rack to the 5 gal carboys?

I think if you are still fermenting then topping off is not critical. You will be producing CO2 which will protect the wine from oxidation at this stage. Some of my wines sit in secondary for a few weeks under air lock as fermentation finishes up.

Since they are close to being finished but not quite I would not top them off just now. A commercial wine will have Sulfite which you don't want right now. This should be fine for the 12 days just make sure when you get back to rack it immediately as it could finish and degas all by itself while your away. Fine and stabilize then top off quickly once you return.

Ok I won't top them off but would it be good to rack them to the 5 gallon carboys? Atleast this would eliminate the airspace, just wondering wanting to do whats best.

I say leave them alone. it will not hurt them to stay put for the next couple of weeks.

Back