Top up or not to top up? That is the question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firejohn03

Reaction score
I have five gallons of blackberry wine made from scratch. I racked it this evening and lost about 2L in the Lees. I have a lot of air space in the carboy. I wanted to bulk age , but it looks like I will bottle instead. It may be the end of the week (Thursday at the earliest) before I can bottle. Will the air space be ok, or do I need to take off of work? I don't want to top up because it is already kinda light bodied an d do not want to water down anymore. Thanks.

If you are talking less than a week, you should be fine

Not of enough information ?

how long has it been since you started ?
how long do u want to bulk age it ?

typically I wait at least 6 months so I don't have any dropout before i would even consider bottling.

Last edited:
If possible, you could also rack down to a 3gal and bottle the rest. I've done this twice based on removed raisin volume and have been pleased with the results. A little to taste over time and a some to bottle later on.

If you wine has completed the fermentation process, I would be hesitant to leave that much airspace for too long. We are sitting here on Sunday and you say Thursday at the earliest. IMHO, you could be pushing it.

I'm that weirdo who leaves headspace for months with no problem. I say a week is no big deal. If there is any question add a bit more sulfates, (campton tab. ). If you really want to bulk age and it is too thin add some juice concentrate. It may referment unless you stabalize it first. Personally I would let it referment if it wants too. That will keep the abv from getting lower. Or you can top off with another wine. A more flavorfull one you like.

without regard to the headspace issue, I wouldn't try to bottle less than a week after I removed 2L of lees...I'd be worried about quite a bit of sediment in the bottle.

Thanks y'all. CBell I think is right, in that with so much Lees bottling after a week will make for a cloudy bottling. I topped up with some concentrate. I hope that the head space didn't cause to much oxidation during these last few days.

Thanks y'all. CBell I think is right, in that with so much Lees bottling after a week will make for a cloudy bottling. I topped up with some concentrate. I hope that the head space didn't cause to much oxidation during these last few days.

I hope you did add sorbate - ??

Just checking

Poses another question. I didn't add sorbate, because I added on Sunday when I racked initially. Should I have added again? :slp K- meta was also added.

Ive read that sorbate will work better if you wait to sweeten. It has more chance to work on the yeast with better chances of halting any refermenting. So I believe that if you sorbated on sunday this was the best road to take. Good luck!!

Latest posts

Back