Top up dragons blood

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jvr06

Reaction score
I'm getting ready to rack and sweeten my DB, I was wondering what anyone has used to top-up with? I know I'm going to be short and I would like to get some suggestions on what has worked well with others. Thanks for any help.

For my first batch, I used a store bought strawberry wine. After that, I simply started making an extra half gallon or so.

Is it OK to sweeten with Splenda, or something like that instead of using regular sugar?

If you are going to bottle the D.B. shortly after sweetening, I wouldn't bother topping up. If you are going to let it age for a while, it is top up time.
GEM. You can sweeten with splenda. I don't know if it will ferment or not. Do not think it will, but if it does make sure you stabalize it first. Good luck with it, Arne.

I had the same dilema last weekend.
I cleared it and racked to a 5 gallon carboy, sweetened and bottled the next day.
I will let it age in the bottle if they make it through the weekend!

Is it OK to sweeten with Splenda, or something like that instead of using regular sugar?

I believe it is, but personal taste may come into play. I haven't found an artificial sweetener that I can stand the taste of, so I won't put any into my wine. Sugar is sweet, and safe (unless you have certain health conditions).

Thanks for the splenda info. Of all the artificial sweeteners, I can stand Splend on my cereal, so I thought I might try it on the batch I am making this week. I am going to bulk age it for a month or so before bottling and I was thinking I might backsweeten after the bulk aging. Will that work or should I backsweeten sooner? Gary

You can backsweeten before you bottle, Gary. Try a little bench testing before you try and sweeten the whole batch. Draw a glass or two and use the splenda on it. If you decide you don't like it, you won't mess up the whole batch. I always try the same thing with sugar to see how sweet I like it. Arne.

I like to back sweeten with Splenda as well I call it skinny wine!! lol

Thanks for all this info. I am going to do some test trials on it to see how it tastes and if it is not OK, I will back sweeten with regular sugar. I will report back.

Latest posts

Back