Tools for acid / pH / sulphite testing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brottman

Reaction score
I often hear people talking about the acidity level in their wine, and something about a chromatography test. I am confused as to what exactly tools everyone is using to test things like acid, pH, and sulphites. How are you testing total acidity?

Other than the base question, I'm also wondering what are the best tools (want to get different opinions) for these things. I know there are pH testers and what not, and some multi tools that do it all. All I have right now is pH test strips.

Acid testing can be done with a PH meter and sodium hydroxide (NO2). There is a tutorial on this sight as to how it is done. You will need a couple of syringes and a graduated beaker (100 ml.)
It all depends on what you want to spend, there are more sophisticated methods available.
As for SO2, I rely on the 1/4 tsp. every 3 months. Sulphite level is rather forgiving, between 50 and a 100 ppm will protect wine and not be detectable by most.

Latest posts

Back