Tool to cut holes in rubber stopper

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No go on silicone eh?.. Must only work on the natural rubber ones.. Have you tried it on other rubbers??

Good to know..Have you tried a forstner bit on the silicone stoppers? A woodworking friend said those might work...

Holy Cow do they come that tiny? At what point is it just worth the price of buying the right one, LOL. The issue here is you're thinking just like I do and thats why I own a set of the cork borers. Did you try the screwdriver trick? I have noit but I know thats what Rodo does and he gave me the idea.

OK, I'll try the screwdriver trick and maybe finish it up with the dremel. Not at home right now so I'll get the SKU for you a little later. I'll try my forstners too but how do you put the bung into a vice without distorting it? :b

Last edited:
OK, I'll try the screwdriver trick and maybe finish it up with the dremel. Not at home right now so I'll get the SKU for you a little later. I'll try my forstners too but how do you put the bung into a vice without distorting it? :b

Boy thats a good question. I wonder if its possibly to insert it in a very dry carboy neck and drill it?

I think what you guys found would work much better than a forstner bit. I really don't think they would work well at all - even worse than a regular drill bit. How about plastic bungs? Does anyone make those?

That would be the silicone bungs and they may have better luck with the fostner bit on that. I have never used one before and don't know if they'll work. Wade uses them and would have a better idea.

Boy thats a good question. I wonder if its possibly to insert it in a very dry carboy neck and drill it?

I would drill a hole in a piece of wood just a bit smaller than the stopper, then cut it in half and stick it in a vise, clamping the stopper between the two half moon blocks and tighten. I know its a lot of engineering, but I am a big time DIY guy...

Or you could just order them from me and save all the tolls on agony of defeat! :D It took me awhile to figure it out but sorry, its an ancient Chinese secret until I stop selling them.:n

Or you could just order them from me and save all the tolls on agony of defeat! :D It took me awhile to figure it out but sorry, its an ancient Chinese secret until I stop selling them.:n

beiging_tourday1_sat0929487.jpg

Dan:

Where do you find all these neat pictures & graphics in responding to different situations & questions...... You seem to always find a great response, & quickly too........
AL

I've drilled silicone bungs with success by taking the handle off of the
cork borer and inserting the tube end in a cordless drill. Use some anti-foam to lubricate the cutting edge and drill away. The bung does not give much resistance so you can just set it on top of your work bench.

Back