Too much yeast Too little headspace

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scurry64

Temperance League President Emeritus
Reaction score
I know that I pitched too much yeast. I need to know how to fix this potential problem.

This is a 6 gallon pail of Chilean Carmenere. I made a starter using 10 grams of BRL97 yeast and 10 grams of Goferm. There was probably less than 2 inches of headspace before pitching the yeast. Now after about 20 hours, it looks like this. I'm afraid of what it will look like in another 24-48 hours.

Do you think I can siphon off a gallon or more of the Carmenere into a 2 gallon bucket until fermentation is complete and then recombine the 2 batches before adding malolactic culture?

I've never used this yeast strain before. I've never attempted primary fermentation with so little headspace before. I hope someone has overcome this problem before. Any suggestions?

20160404_063814.jpg

20160404_063836.jpg

First of all I'd think about a catch/drip pan under those buckets. Like JohnT said,,,, split it into 2 equals then recombine in secondary after fermentation has subsided..

Move about 1.25 gallons to the 2 gallon bucket. You can use soup or other large pots to remove another gallon.

I split the batch. They're both still extremely active.

Or run buy a couple of brute trash cans. At this stage, you could just pour all of the contents in without an oxidation problem.

Or run buy a couple of brute trash cans. At this stage, you could just pour all of the contents in without an oxidation problem.

Whoops, I see now where you split the batch. Carry on and good luck.

I've noticed that quite a few people ferment in these "brute trash cans." I know that there are food-grade brutes for restaurant use, but I doubt the that the trash cans are food grade. Does that concern anyone else?

Whoops, I see now where you split the batch. Carry on and good luck.

Thanks. It seems to be going well. I had to split the Carmenere after 1 day because of what you see in the pic. After 48 hours the SG went from 1.093 to 1.048. It is much less active now.

I also had to split the Barbera because I had the same issue with it. After ~48 hours it went from 1.096 to 1.058.

I'm not sure how well these split batches will ferment. There may be more yeast in one batch than the other. I'll check the SG daily and be ready to add Super Ferment if necessary.

Thanks for all the input and advice.

I've noticed that quite a few people ferment in these "brute trash cans." I know that there are food-grade brutes for restaurant use, but I doubt the that the trash cans are food grade. Does that concern anyone else?

Brute does make food grade yeah cans. I imagine others do as well. Mine all are marked as NSF, which means food grade. They come in a few different colors. Mine happen to be Grey.

Back