Mosti Mondiale Too much Wine??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cindyjo

Reaction score
Hello all,
I have been working on my MM Outback Shiraz with the ALL Grape Pack and transfered to carboy today as my SG was low enough. When it was still in the primary I noticed the level of wine was much higher than the 6 gal mark so when I transfered to the carboy ran out of room. I still have probably a full bottle worth in the primary. I mixed really well as I transfered so I think sediment is pretty well distributed. What can I do with this extra?? I do not have a one gal jug but do have a 3 gal better bottle. ANy suggestions. Thanks a lot

Use a wine bottle for the extra juice.
You can use a balloon for the top but better yet a #2 bung and airlock will fit in a wine bottle.

Great I idea v casey. Thanks I could use a 1.5 just in case.. there is a lot of wine there.
BTW I assume I cannot reuse the bag I put the grape pack in right?

cindyjo said:
Great I idea v casey. Thanks I could use a 1.5 just in case.. there is a lot of wine there.
BTW I assume I cannot reuse the bag I put the grape pack in right?

The jury is out some say its all used up others say it does make a difference in some of the smaller kits to add the bag. Your call, not helpful I know
smiley36.gif

I appreciate any help, its a nice bag I hate to just chuck it. I filled a 1.5 and am wearing somewine as I experienced some difficulties juggling everything. Found a bung that fit so I am in good shape. Now I need to clean up all the red in my kitchen

I just had to siphone a bit more out of carboy as I had beginnings of a volcano, I lost some to the floor and am wearing a bit more wine but I think I have enough room in carboy. Time to clean the kitchen again

Hi Cindy,
I have this kit resting at this time... I had the same problem!!! Iracked all of it in a 6.5 gal. carboy(Lucky I had one)to finish fermenting... Now it is resting in a 6 gal. (Italian)... full to the 2 inch mark... So, what is that 6-1/2 gal. of wine???
Next time I will use a 10 gal. fermenter as well!!!

Darryl said:
Hi Cindy,
I have this kit resting at this time... I had the same problem!!! Iracked all of it in a 6.5 gal. carboy(Lucky I had one)to finish fermenting... Now it is resting in a 6 gal. (Italian)... full to the 2 inch mark... So, what is that 6-1/2 gal. of wine???

Shhhh........ Don't tell my husband but I "borrow" his 6 1/2 gallon carboy when ever I make a kit with skins. They work very nicely!

I don't know if I would hold back a 1/2 gallon, but why not add less than the called-for water to the concentrate? so it's maybe 6.2 gallons - at least then there would not be a need for more than a bottle or two of excess after first racking. That seems to be about the volume I typically need after racking again (or 2x) to keep the 6-gal. carboy full if I'm bulk aging.

I did not need to add any water really just a bit to rinse out the juice bag, maybe just a couple of cups, the oak and the bag with the skins take some room but I will have to get a 6.5 carboy somewhere here.... wait a minute, I actually might have one for next time. My husband bought one at a garage sale I will have to clean it up but maybe I will use it when I transfer

I always put the extra in wine bottles with #2 or #3 bungs with airlocks and use them for topping up that wine at a later date or fpr topping off another down the line of just for when Im thirsty!
smiley36.gif

Darryl said:
Hi Cindy,
Just REMEMBER when its time to rack you will be racking TO a 6 gallon carboy (unless you have another 6 1/2).
smiley36.gif

Thanks for everyone's input. For some reason I am very nervous about this kit, my first with the grape pack. I am sure it will be great. I had a little bit that did noit fit in the 1.5 overflow and it has a nice taste but young, I prefer whites but like having some reds around for when we have people over.

Brent, it appears this kit makes 6.5 gallons and I tried to put that in a 6 gal carboy, it was quiet a mess

Yeah, I ended up wearing quiet a bit as I was not paying attention when it overflowed. I saved and extra 1.5 though

ibglowin said:
smiley34.gif
SPAM............
smiley34.gif

smiley34.gif
SPAM............
smiley34.gif

smiley34.gif
SPAM............
smiley34.gif

smiley34.gif
SPAM............