Too Much Oak

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think your cool with 1 on Merlot. Just check on it routinely. After 3or 4 weeks ya might find it where you want it. And if a little heavy on oak then just remember it does fade some in time.
Only way to learn for sure is by dropping in and finding out.
Btw- a tip I learned here (I learn everything here) for oak spirals is to tie some fishing line to it ran thru the bung. Makes a huge difference for removal. Plus allows to keep it in the middle of the carboy.

Thanks for the insight! I like the fishing line idea!

Here's a question: Anyone see problem If I use a couple "WineStix - Medium Plus Toast French Oak Carboy" for a few weeks, achieve the oak tones I want, then move them to a ziplock bag and into the fridge for use in another batch?

Here's a question: Anyone see problem If I use a couple "WineStix - Medium Plus Toast French Oak Carboy" for a few weeks, achieve the oak tones I want, then move them to a ziplock bag and into the fridge for use in another batch?

From the manufacturer

Please allow 2-3 months minimum extraction time to balance the extractions of short and long grain. Removal of the wood early only allows certain extractions of flavors and primarily from the short grain in the WineStix® milling.
The end result is in likeness to a second use Barrel

You also have sanitation issues to think about.

Are you trying to save money, or go for some unique flavor profile? Your idea might work out, but if saving money is the primary motivator, I would personally focus elsewhere. A single $9 winestix works out to about 36 cents per bottle. The cork, bottle, and labeling will typically surpass that. Not worth risking contamination in an effort to cut that 36 cents in half.

H

Both the winestix and spirals are pretty easy to break in half. I'd rather use either a half or one full stick and leave it in for a while (usually 6 months) verses putting several in and taking them out early. Just a personal preference on my part. If you really want to use two of them and take them out early, I'd freeze them in the ziplock verses fridging.

Back