too much must

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

froeschli

Reaction score
i started a 1 gallon batch of dragonblood, and it's fermenting so actively, that my primary was overflowing. too much must - i've read about foaming, but after my other 2 tries, i didnt think it could be THAT bad - haha.
i poured some into a big jam jar and have it in the fridge for now.

so, i see 3 options on how to proceed (apart from throwing it out)

- leave it in the fridge for a week or so, then rack the main batch and use it to top up
- freeze it (i've read people do it with grapes to re-use in another batch)
- throw it in a wine bottle, and use a balloon as air lock (I'd have to get some, but they are easy enough to come by, whereas i can't make it to a wine store until in a week or so)

any of those a 'not so bad' idea?

thanks,

karin

Have posted this before, but here goes for folks that havn't seen it. Put your primary in a pan, tray or whatever it will fit in to catch any overflows. A large plastic garbage bag works well. Sit the primary in it and kinda pull it around the bottom for a couple of inches. A bit of prevention makes for a much easier cleanup. Good luck with your projects, Arne.

Keep it in the fridge untill fermentation slows down and then add it back to the primary bucket and let it finish with the rest.

BOB

Back