Too much metabisulfate

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gloo

Reaction score
I started a batch of citrous wine about 7 gallon and stupid me put in 6 tsp. of it. I got confused with the campden tablet. What should I do?

Last summer I did pretty much the same thing with a batch of Skeeter P. Lots of pouring between primary fermenters and then I just left it alone for 3 or 4 months, the meta finally disipated and it turned out pretty well.

Last summer I did pretty much the same thing with a batch of Skeeter P. Lots of pouring between primary fermenters and then I just left it alone for 3 or 4 months, the meta finally disipated and it turned out pretty well.

Did you add too much meta at the begining like me? Did you just pour over and over again at the same time of over the period of a few days? Thanks

No I put in too much at the end. You will need to pour for many days if not weeks, not continuously though.

It will eventually work out but you will need to aerate it alot and let it age.

Put the k-meta away...you're done with this batch

That is over 20 times the needed amount. Since you just started it, you have a challenge getting it going. Give it a shot and if it won't go in a few days, pitch it and begin anew. You will likely get others to give you information on how to make a strong starter and ways to lessen the S02.

I haven't put in the yeast yet so I think maybe I should add more fruits and make a double batch. I probebly would be too hard to start the fermentation. Umm... :slp

I believe he means dump it. Whip the daylights out of it and see what happens. Definitely do a starter to give it a big head start

I'm stirrin the hell out of it right now should it really help?

I'm stirrin the hell out of it right now should it really help?

Think somthing like a streched out wire clothes hanger in a drill to whip air into it.

Okay this is strong stuff. Tomorow I will get some more fruits to make a 17 gallons batch because I can't imagine leaving it this way. All my carboys will be full. Haha I better learn something from this!

I know it's tough but like Grapeman says perhaps it is best to cut your losses and start over.

Back