Today's New Member

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to the board Appman, Nice to see another N Carolinian on board.

Were in NC are you?

Welcome from Texas appfan, I have made the Cellar Craft Pino Noir and it's one of my favorites! If you like reds, they are all awesome! Enjoy!

Appfan said:
Hello All. Joining today and anxiously awaiting my first wine kit.

Hey Appfan (and everyone else) Greetings from Montana!

smiley2.gif

(Go Griz!)

I'm totally new to the wine making thing..but I figured since I've got the wine drinking thing down to a science, I'd take the next step!
smiley36.gif

I'm looking forward to making my first batches of wine.

I just watched the entire how to video on the wine kits (Thanks George!!!)...thank you very much that was exactly what I was looking for and very helpful!

Thanks in advance for the many questions I am sure that I will have in the coming months.

Bo

GlacierVintners said:
Appfan said:
Hello All. Joining today and anxiously awaiting my first wine kit.

Hey Appfan (and everyone else) Greetings from Montana!

smiley2.gif

(Go Griz!)

I'm totally new to the wine making thing..but I figured since I've got the wine drinking thing down to a science, I'd take the next step!
smiley36.gif

I'm looking forward to making my first batches of wine.

I just watched the entire how to video on the wine kits (Thanks George!!!)...thank you very much that was exactly what I was looking for and very helpful!

Thanks in advance for the many questions I am sure that I will have in the coming months.

Bo

Welcome also Bo. A lot of us here have the drinking part down pretty well. Waldo is always there to volunteer his services to sample you wine for an objective commentary when you are ready. Any ideas what you would like to start with?

appleman said:
Any ideas what you would like to start with?

Well, Santa brought me a Selection Chilean Merlot purchased locally from a vendor who is starting to carry some wine kits. My wife knew I was looking around for equipment and knew I liked red wines and they reccomended this one as a surprise.

I am really looking into some of the Northwest Wine origins (Red Mountain,
Yakima, Walla Walla, Columbia Valley) I love Cab Sav and Cab Franc, Syrah's, Merlot's, as well as a lot of the red wine blends being produced in the NW.

I was born and raised in Walla Walla, and I also mainly drink Big red Northwest wines, so I figured I would start there?

Any advice or feedback is much appreciated.

Thanks Glacier. I too love the reds. Gook luck with the Merlot!

I also agree that George's videos are exellent.

I was able to start my Santa delivered wine kit today. The waiting has been killing me, not at all helped by gentle nudges from the forum
smiley2.gif
<?:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /></V:STROKE></V:F></V:F></V:F></V:F></V:F></V:F></V:F></V:F></V:F></V:F></V:F></V:F></V:ULAS></V:pATH><?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:LOCK aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></O:LOCK></V:SHAPE></V:></V:SHAPE>. I was able to hold out with assistance (stern looks) by one of Santa's helpers! <O:p></O:p>
<O:p></O:p>
As mentioned before, it is a Cellar Craft Pinot Noir. The process went smoothly, with a quick call to the FVW store fora sulfite question. The FVW team came through just as advertised!<O:p></O:p>
The SG was 1.074 and the temperature 74F. The smell was heavenly. My wife, Kim who is not a lover of reds as I am but rather Whites, even thought the aroma was to die for. <O:p></O:p>
Here is a picture of the finished product, complete with FVW log, all tucked away and waiting ....<O:p></O:p>
<O:p>
20081227_180913_DSC_0427_Copy.JPG
</O:p>

Welcome Appfan and Bo,
This is a good place to get info from those who have"tried it before". And, for those of us relative newbies, we all learn when you ask.
BTW, I am thinking the work load way too heavy for Waldo, sampling that is, so I amgoing to help out just to ease his load. PM me for shipping info when you get ready.
J

Looking good Appfan. It looks like we have another closet wine maker.
smiley36.gif

Welcome Bo, I look forward to posting with you.
smiley20.gif

This is a picture of day 3 just before the days stirring. The dark color is the grape pack in the mesh bag. Things are moving nicely I think. I was a little concerned as the foam/debris was not as much as I expected, but some research indicated that the yeast that came with the Cellar Craft Kit, E-1118, does not produce the 'high action' fermentation.

Anyone agree/disagree? Also, thoughts on how it looks - OK/Not OK/Do something quick! are welcome.
smiley1.gif

It looks good appfan. Plenty of action there for a kit. There is no grapes in the kit to form a cap like real grapes. That is when you will get a big thick cap forming as the C02 pushes the grapes to the top. The foam you have indicates plenty of action. Push that bag to the bottom of the bucket a couple times a day to aid in extracting all the goodies.

Thanks Appleman.

When I pushed the grape pack down and stirred, a lot of CO2 bubbles came out of the grape pack bag, so thats a good sign things are happening.

Latest posts

Back