To Squeeze or Not to Squeeze

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

analog_kidd

Reaction score
I have read conflicting instructions on what to do with the bag of fruit you put in your wine when you eventually remove it. Some places say to squeeze the juice out, and some say do not.

I just started a batch of apple and put raisins in it. When I pull out the bag, should I squeeze it or not?

following along I would like to know too. along with how long should the fruit remain
in the primary fermenter..

I leave fruit in until the fruit seems to be sorta discolored pulp. I squeeze it. never heard anyone say not to when I started and I want the liquid out of it

The reason for the differences is that some fruit breaks down and gives up the stuff you're after faster/better without squeezing. For those that are more or less depleted, squeezing too hard will just give you more sediment with no real benefit. It's the kind of sediment than lead to H2S and off flavors if you wait too long to rack again.

I use a stainless colander and let the juice drain rather than squeeze. I've found this results in a better wine that clears more quickly. Of course a lot depends on how aggressively you do the squeezing.

YMMV

Keller's recipes are a pretty good guide to which should be squeezed and which shouldn't.

I am a big proponent of squeezing and I do it at least daily when I have wine in primary with a grape pack. The only other wine I have made from fruit is cherry and I squeezed that also. I feel I get a better extraction of the flavor and solids from the grapes and more mouth and texture. I can see where squeezing some fruits (peaches come to mind) could present a clearing problem but it does not seem so with grapes.

I asked similar question regarding my grape pack from a Malbec kit from RJ Spagnols. The forum offered me different advice as did the store that I bought it from. Finally called RJ Spagnols and they clarified the instructions in that you just squeeze the "sanitized sock" until all of the juice comes out of it and throw away the rest.

Thanks everyone for your help. I've been squeezing the bag of raisins every day when I give the must a stirring, and seems to be working well. Some of the fruit bits are escaping from the bag, but they are mostly floating to the top. I think I can skim them off with a sanitized spoon before I rack.

I think I need a better bag. Mine seems to be too course. I saw a picture on this site showing someone's bag and it was much more fine than mine. I need to make a trip to the local wine making shop this weekend and a new one is on my list of supplies.

Thanks everyone for your help. I've been squeezing the bag of raisins every day when I give the must a stirring, and seems to be working well. Some of the fruit bits are escaping from the bag, but they are mostly floating to the top. I think I can skim them off with a sanitized spoon before I rack.

I think I need a better bag. Mine seems to be too course. I saw a picture on this site showing someone's bag and it was much more fine than mine. I need to make a trip to the local wine making shop this weekend and a new one is on my list of supplies.

Another thing that will work is go to the dollar store or wherever and buy panty hose. Cut a leg off of a pair, sanatize it and instant fruit bag. Also, they are cheap enough you can either clean it and use again or throw away. Arne.

Analog Kid, I use 5-gal. paint straining bags, from Ace or H.D. They have a elastic top to fit a 5-6 gal. bucket, their fine mesh & cheap & you can put them in the washer etc. just sanitize first. Roy

Latest posts

Back