to long in the primary?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homer116

Junior
Reaction score
my job keeps me away for 10 days at a time so my question is can the wine sit to long in the primary before i move it to the secondary

As long as your temps are even I don't see a problem with it.. It should be OK.. It may need longer than that anyway.

The official recomendation is that the wine be place in a carboy (secondary) once the SG reaches around 1.0. This is usually around 6 to 8 days (depending on sugar level, temp, and type of yeast used).

That being said, and to answer your question, I would say that it depends.

The question to you is what type of primary are you using? If it is a pail with the lid snapped down with a trap, I would say that you are OK.

If you are doing an open fermentation (lid off perhaps covered with a sheet of plastic) then I would say that you could be at risk. In this case would have your wife or a friend snap on the lid at some point during day 8.

The official recomendation is that the wine be place in a carboy (secondary) once the SG reaches around 1.0. This is usually around 6 to 8 days (depending on sugar level, temp, and type of yeast used).

That being said, and to answer your question, I would say that it depends.

The question to you is what type of primary are you using? If it is a pail with the lid snapped down with a trap, I would say that you are OK.

If you are doing an open fermentation (lid off perhaps covered with a sheet of plastic) then I would say that you could be at risk. In this case would have your wife or a friend snap on the lid at some point during day 8.

+1 to what johnt said....i might also add that it may also depend on how far along in your primary ferment that you are....are we talking about mixing everything up, pitching yeast, and then leaving for 10 days, in which case i would say with a locked down primary, there is definitely no worry, or are we talking about your fermentation already running it's course for a few days, and then taking off???....in that case, i would check to see what the s.g. is at, and if getting close to the reccommended racking gravity, move over to a carboy and lock it down with bung and airlock....

+2 to what JohnT said. IMHO, 10 days would put you on or past the hairy edge. If you have a fairly normal fermentation, you could be way below SG 1.010 by then. As suggested above, I would have a trusted friend or relative familiar with reading a hydrometer and snap down the lid at the latest by SG 1.010. I try for 1.020 just to be safe.

Latest posts

Back