To airlock or not to airlock?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spaceman

Junior
Reaction score
I am a new wine maker (started my first batch in March). My question is about using an airlock on primary fermentation. Some recipes say to put the lid on but not tight, some say to cover with cloth, while others say to put lid on and fit with airlock. I get the impression that the yeast needs oxygen during the first part of fermentation to reproduce. But with the head space that is in the primary, maybe there is enough air present. Any advice would be appreciated.
smiley5.gif

You are correct that the yeast needs oxygen in the primary during the first fermentation. As much oxygen as possible is the key to a rapid producing yeast growth. You are also correct regarding various directions as far as covering and protecting the must.

The most important thing at the initial point is to provide the oxygen and nutrients needed...the same interest is to protect it from foreign crawlers, flies, knats, etc. from contaminating your primary. A good "breathable cover" would accomplish both goals. (Personally, I use muslin cloth with a band around the bucket, or a polyester silk fabric which even allows more air in) Hope this helps!

Welcome to the forum!
smiley1.gif
Edited by: Maui Joe

Bert and I just use a clean dish towel with a string and rubber band on it. This keeps the invaders out and the air moving. Sometimes we then set the lid on top of that, loosely. That keeps the cats from pushing through the towel and bathing in must. I love my cats but I don't know if I could guarantee their safety if they spoiled a must!
smiley2.gif

I have always put lid on primary and added airlock on all my wine and beer batches...but I always stir the heck out of the must or wort before pitching yeast.

The lid helps trap the CO2 in the bucket to protect your wine once the fermentation starts. If using a lid it does not need to be fastened tightly, just lay it on top. If you are concerned about insects, use the airlock in the grommetted hole.

No matter what wine, kit or otherwise, I have always used my fermenting/bottling 7.9 gallon bucket with the lid on tight and an airlock installed. If it is just juice, I don't bother it for a few days, if I have bag of pulp in it, I take the lid off and stir at least twice a day and I mean I stir like mad. I cannot change this method because it has not failed once.

smiley33.gif

Thanks for the replys. That really helps me out. I am a new winemaker and I really appreciate all the great advice. It is not so intimidating when you can draw on the experience of others.
smiley1.gif

Latest posts

Back