Time in carboys

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mibo

Junior
Reaction score
How long do you leave your wine in the glass carboys before you bottle it? Mine has been in there 7 months.

All my reds I leave for at least 12 months. But, all depends on what you are making. Most of my reds are from juice from Chile, California and Italy. Fruit wines 6 months min.

I bulk age up to a year. For clarity purposes 3 months, I believe, will give you most all you will get.

Depends on how bad you need the carboy! I bulk age 6-7 months then bottle age for about another year before I ease a kit into the drinking rotation.

Oh and welcome to the forums!
20110430_133023_kgo_057.gif

Just because I love to screw with the curve
6-12 months for my 1 gallon test batches
18-36 months for meads
all others 12-24 months
mist kits don't count

"screwwith the curve"...

You "must" have been a teacher... LOL

I've had some that only stayed in carboy for 2 months because we were running out!
Longest I have left in was 7-8 months.
Usually leave in carboy until it tastes good, then filter leave another week or two and bottle.

I'm not trying to win any competitions just want drinkable wine.

Pretty much what is stated above. Red 8-16 months depending on what it is. Whites 4-8 months depending on how fast it clears and what it is.

tepe said:
You "must" have been a teacher... LOL</font>

Not a chance, I'll leave that to others. Just not in a hurry. Those stainless steel carboys (kegs) are great because all I can see is the tag, all that wine is out of sight so I don't think about bottling. The kegs also take up less space then bottles.
Helps to live in an area where I can play outdoors all year round as well. Keeping busy doing other things gives my wine the opportunity to age properly.

I like the kegs too. I put one into service after sloshin it with several cleaners and sanitisers only to wreck a batch of beer. Had a little metallic taste that I assume was stainless oxidation. now I physically scrub cornys before each service.

120 days in the carboy, then bottled. If it needs more time I stick the bottles away as long as they need.

So I am going to bulk age my wine 6 month to a year. I am debating on aging it with oak chips? Its a MM zin, I added the oak in the secondary fermentation. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions or guidance on the topic?

JJ

JJGDC said:
So I am going to bulk age my wine 6 month to a year. I am debating on aging it with oak chips? Its a MM zin, I added the oak in the secondary fermentation. Does anyone have any experience or suggestions or guidance on the topic?

JJ

Have you tasted the wine? If you think (after tasting) it needs more oak then let it bulk age on about an ounce or so. Just be careful because you can always add more oak, but you can't take it out.

Latest posts

Back