Tight Corks

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As mentioned in my previous post on Dec.6--I have waited one month since the bottling to find out if the "dry cork" method makes any difference. As far as I can tell byopening the first bottle -- it works. It appears that the afore mentioned cork humidor method has prevented the issue of the cork being too tight.

I'm going towait to saythat the dry cork method definitely is the cure to the tight cork problemwhile I let the wine age. But it's pretty encouraging due to the difference it makes in the ease of removing the cork.

I have a batch that I clarified todayandexpect to bottle in about14 days.I'll use the dry cork method again.

another trick posted somewhere in the forum (by George maybe?)... before inserting your cork screw to open the bottle, take the pointy tip and run it around the seam between the cork and the bottle lip. It seems a little seal forms there with these corks and it helps a bit to score this area with something sharp. Edited by: sangwitch

Wino:
I am going to get a corker and I am only going to cork a few
as I age in gallon glass. I don't want to spend a lot of money
on a corker, will I be happy with a hand corker with #8 corks
Thanks
smiley17.gif

Bill said:
Wino:
I am going to get a corker and I am only going to cork a few
as I age in gallon glass.  I don't want to spend a lot of money
 on a corker, will I be happy with a hand corker with #8 corks
Thanks
smiley17.gif

We use a Gilda hand corker with #8 corks. We rarely have a problem since we went to the #8's...however we can't use the bottles with the flanges, so just set those aside.

Latest posts

Back