Throw it all together and walk away?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Love_in_Texas

Reaction score
Ok so I have a dilemma.

Its a serious issue for me so I hope im posting in the right place.

Im leaving town on thursday, and will be gone 4 days. I REALLY want to start a wine today, as my primary and gallon jug with airlock are both EMPTY. Every recipe I've seen requires 4-10 or more days of fermentation. The boyfriend says wait til you come back and start your next wine then. (Yes I think he's crazy too) I say, if I find a recipe I can just throw into the jug and fit an airlock on, I can buy another gallon jug and make my apple-jalapeno or green chile raspberry when I get back.

Soooooo that being said, does anyone have a recipe for a "dump-wine" similar to JMAO, that I could do that with? Id do JMAO, but I already have a JMAO-baby in the closet =))))

So you all understand the seriousness of my situation?

-Love

I ferment all my wines to dry in the bucket. Basically all you want to do is make sure it starts fermenting or it will go ad otherwise. Right before you leave put it under bung and airlock so as the C02 released from your wine will blanket your wine and protect it.This shot time is fine. I sometimes ferment bigger batches for up to 3 weeks this way but I dont leave the fruit in there more then 1 week.

I'd say wait until you get back, is something you should keep an eye on.

Plus you want to check the SG and temp daily anyway.

So Wade, I could hypothetically move this to the secondary sometime following my return?

Abe, you and the bf are equally un-fun. You, however, are forgiven under the awesome avatar amendment ;)

Yes you can, Many RJ Spagnols kits have you ferment the wine in bucket for 14 days. Doing it this way helps let the wine degas itself better and lso lets more solids fall out therefor not racking them into carboy.

Plus you want to check the SG and temp daily anyway.
abe:

I start my wine, put it in a place that I know the temperature is god, and come back in a week. Yeah I'll probably take a look after a couple of days to ensure that it's fermenting, and my wife and I pass through the "fermenting room" often enough that we'll know if there's a temperature problem.

So check the temp daily? Not really. Check the SG daily? Not on your life.

Steve

abe:

I start my wine, put it in a place that I know the temperature is god, and come back in a week. Yeah I'll probably take a look after a couple of days to ensure that it's fermenting, and my wife and I pass through the "fermenting room" often enough that we'll know if there's a temperature problem.

So check the temp daily? Not really. Check the SG daily? Not on your life.

Steve

Maybe its just me then. Also I give the cap a good stir if one forms.

I keep the hydrometer in all the time and check it a few times a day.

Same thing with the temp, for instance this morning it was hitting 80 due to the heat caused by the fermentation, so I lowered the thermostat a couple degrees and also made a lid adjustment to allow more heat to escape.

What is the "penalty for failure"?

Just ask yourself [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5lhnr0DM04"]What is the penalty for failure?[/ame] And are you willing to live with it?

If you have little $ invested not much penalty for failure. If you are doing a Mosti Mondiale Meglioli Amarone going, much bigger penalty for failure......

Don't be like Miles in the video unless your can accept the penalty! :d

I pitched the yeast in a batch of grapefruit 4 days ago and have been out of town for the last 2. I do have someone to stir it for me but I think you will be ok if you start one now.

Wellllllll I decided to do it! I wont post the recipe til it makes or breaks, but I will tell ya it is raspberry/pomegranate/green chile =))))))

Abe im pretty sure the apple-jalapeno will be one of my next. Either that or blueberry peppermint ....

I like different.

I wonder what i'll need to do to get the heat out of the primary......

Latest posts

Back