This was new to me!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joanie

Reaction score
I was de-labeling some empty bottles a friend gave me yesterday. I soaked them in hot water for a bit then used a paring knive to get the labels started. As I was scraping the label off a red bottle I scraped off the red under the label!
smiley3.gif
Turns out the bottle is clear and had a red plastic skin on it!
smiley3.gif
I was disappointed as I had never seen a red bottle and I thought it was great!

Does anyone know how to put a skin on a bottle and where to buy them?

Sorry Joan, I've never seena red skin. I've purchased wine in wild colored plastic coating that peeled off. I also thought they were neat and kept the skins on them,until I went to fill them, couldn't see through the bottle to see where you were filling,so ended up peeling them all off.

It must have been some paint that was sprayed on them, kind of disappointing to have it scrape off like that.

We got some black glass Champagne bottles, they were beautiful, but hard to fill, you just couldn't see when they were getting full....they are all going into a separate box...will use them if we ever run low.

The skin was plastic, NW and it peeled off easily. It seemed to be thinner at the top of the bottle. I'm thinking the bottle was dipped in a resin or something. It sure was pretty.

I know they have a plastic you dip your tools in to cover them Joan and I would think you could use that on a bottle too

That's cool, Masta but this was clear red... if that makes sense...so you can see thru it. It wasn't wax. It's plastic. It makes me think of that cellophane stuff that they put around fruit gift baskets then shrink with a blow dryer.

Latest posts

Back