This Rookie needs HELP!!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salute

Junior
Reaction score
First, Hello to everyone, yes I am new member of the forum..and yes new to wine making as well. I am begging for guidance from anyone who will help me with my 1st attempts at this... I will try and put as much info as i can, but remember i am 100% ROOKIE at this.. My 1st attempts are on two batches, 1Gallon Strawberry (Real fruit), the other is Apple 3Gallon from Vintners Harvest. Both Must started 8.12.13

Strawberry wine recipe from
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FP78Vc1fMuw&list=FL5uCDQI3XbcYMkbSF-OPx3A&index=3"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FP78Vc1fMuw&list=FL5uCDQI3XbcYMkbSF-OPx3A&index=3[/URL]

Must=8.12.13
2lbs of real smashed strawberry
3lbs of sugar (1.5 white sugar+1.5 brown sugar)=3lbs
5pts water +vitB1 tab
1 campden tab
pitched yeast starter 8.13.13 SG=1.10

1st Rack 8.19.13 SG=1.00
stained out pulp, NOW HERE IS THE PROBLEM... The COLOR and taste! Sorry i dont know how to place a photos here, but here is a link,

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=9913&stc=1&d=1377359096

as you can see on the left is suppost to be strawberry the one on the right is the apple,, they both have a brick red color to them.. I have looked high and low to find info on this to find out is this is normal or not.. my supposition is no it is not. So and now im here looking for help..

Today (15 days later) 8.24.13
1st racked the 1gallon strawberry, sg=.990 + 1 campden tab
same color, taste bitter, dry and not like strawberry at all! should i toss it out and start over or.......
If more info is need let me know and thanks for any help yall can provide,,, next up is the apple, stand by

Aging wine takes time. One thing I learned from this board is you have to have patience and when that fails, have even more patience. Wines can take a long time to mellow.

Bitter -- do you mean sour as in too acidic?

All fruit wines can take up to and beyond a year to mellow.

As I side note there nothing wrong with a batch of wine that isn't perfect. Most home wine makers will make good wines and bad wines.

For most home wine makers will make out of 10 batches:
1 to 2 batches will be great
3 will be very good
3 will be average (table wine)
1- 2 will be bad

I never throw a bad wine out -- Well that is unless it's so old that it starting to become vinegar. Most bad wines have some sort of strength to it that can be mixed with another that is lacking in that area. For example some time in the future you may create a red wine that is lacking in acid and use that strawberry as a mix to increase the acidity of that other wine. I have made wines from marginal juices like frozen concord grape juice or apple juices from the grocery store for the sole purpose of using as top off wine and or mixing with other wines some time in the future.

Other ways to correct that wine is to change the acid level in it by the addition of chalk. To help with this you would need to know the current acid level. I would strongly suggest though to let it age a year or two before adjusting the acid. Other things can be done is to back-sweeten the wine to mask the sour dry taste. I have done this as well, but I wouldn't even attempt back-sweetening until it ages for at least a year.

Thanks for the speedy reply Stefani, yes it may be an acid i am tasting.. not sure though, i have not yet developed that sense.. I do under stand about time, i am only a few weeks into these... just scared about the color and taste being so off,,, i guess time will tell huh? oh yeah as a side noted, the pic was taken after i racked the strawberry jug on the left,,, before racking it was the same color as the apple on the right of it.

Last edited:
dont throw anything out, most can be saved with the help from this forum.

first off....6 lbs of strawberrys should be used..8 is better.
you did not say if you used any pectin are acid blend.
strawberrys need both.
if your strawberry wine is dry (done fermenting) i would add sorbate, let it rest a day...then make a simple syrup from about 2 lbs of fresh strawberrys...that will give it better flavor and the sugar will cut the acid taste.

Young wine has almost an astringent taste to it. Most are pretty awful at a few weeks of age. Stick with your process and give them 6-12 months at least.

Strawberry is always milky red looking when you first transfer to the secondary. You should give this plenty of time to age and settle out--rack when needed. Strawberry takes at least 9 months to age. Apple--the longer the better.

I realize you're new at this--but next time you might want to try it without diluting with water. When you feel more competant, a PH meter is a good idea so you can control and adjust the PH as needed. It makes a big difference in fruit wines.

Thanks everyone for the words of encouragement and guidance , I will make make note of all your comments and do more studying.. I did add to the must
1tsp pectic enzyme (from what i have read it is the same as pectolase)
2tsp tartaric acid

Always use pectic enzyme on fruit. Typically, you add it to the must on the first day along with a dose of meta.

Latest posts

Back