This is my last week of work - retirement is finally in sight!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This Friday will be my last day of gainful employment. After working for the last 46 years since enlisting at 17 in 1965 and the last 14 years spent at my present company I am finally retiring. At last some time to relax, do what I want, enjoy spending more time with my 2 year old grand daughter, garden and putz around in the yard, read the of the 200 or so books I have stockpiled while sitting the shade on my deck with a cold brew, make more wine, and have the chance to get the sail panels, the oil pan, the head liner, the sunroof tracks and gasket replaced on the Fiero (and other little odds and ends done) and probably hang out more on the forum.
Whew.... :D
Larry

I hope you enjoy your new freedom! :db

Thank you for your service! It is much appreciated!

I retired about a year ago at age 61. It took a few months to adjust, but I love it! Lots more freedom to do what I want, whether it's sleeping late, playing with the grandkids, travelling with family or road trips on my Harley, working in my wine and wood shops or garden or yard, or picking off items from the "honey do" list.

Congratulations and enjoy!

I retired a couple of years ago. Got a call to action one day out of the blue....now I work by contact and have a good business going and work more than before I retired -------THIS IS A WARNING - DON'T RETIRE, YOU DON'T HAVE TIME FOR IT!!!

Larry, congratulations. We retired when we were 60 and we moved to Costa Rica when a recession hit the U.S. in 2003. We arrived 2 weeks before our twin grandkids were born down here and survived 2 years before S.S. kicked in at 62. Now have all kinds of time for wine making (and drinking) that I was never was able to do on the U.S.

Thanks for the kind thoughts folks. The fellows at work had a retirement party for me tonight. Pizza, wings, salad, pop, cake. A nice spread. It was kind of funny because I ended up being the only one working while every else ate. But my gift from everyone was a very generous gift certificate to my local wine making supply store. Boy,they know me eh? Time to get that corker I've been eyeing..

Congrats to you Larry. I dont forsee it in my future unless its the one I dread when or if my back ever does give out! :re

So if I've got a few things that need to be done, who do I talk to, your wife? I'm sure there is already a list a mile long of things that need to be done. It's likely that other people have been "planning for your retirement" far longer than you have.

Thats Great Larry. Stop by the chat room some night and the drinks for you are free the rest of the month. We got a new fruit press there, you may want to come in and meet her!

Thats Great Larry. Stop by the chat room some night and the drinks for you are free the rest of the month. We got a new fruit press there, you may want to come in and meet her!

Larry, Keep in mind that tomorrow is the last day of the month.

Congrats on the retirement. I have 13 yrs to go!! We visit Tonawanda area when visiting hubby's kids... in Lancaster.

Sleep late... it will be hard at first... extra cup of coffee on the deck... relax a bit before you start "the list"....

Thanks for serving us all in the name of freedom.

Debbie

I retired 2 years ago and I have not missed going to work at all. I hope it works as well for you. Now your function is to spoil the grandchildren even more, you now have more time to plan, plot and scheme.
Be Happy
Jim

Congrats, now you get to work for yourself. Good Luck!

Today is day one of retirement - Over the weekend it felt like it was a 3 day weekend. I slept in til 830 this morning when the phone rang and it was my son congratulating me on making it to retirement. I think I can get the hang of this...
happy-111.GIF

You've seen the ad where the guy skips his pager or cell phone out to sea --- do that with the alarm clock!!!

Latest posts

Back