this is my first time making wine can somone help?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jubug34

Junior
Reaction score
I've just made Rhubarb wine didn't realize it was a difficult one to start with, this is my first batch and it fermented nicely in the bucket until I put it in the demijohns should I be concerned that the bubbling has stopped and nothing appears to be happening? Can anyone help do I need to add something else, I put red grape concentrate in tartaric acid, yeast nutrient, pectic enzyme, vitamin B table all in at the bucket stage and it looked and smelt 'good' until I put it in the jars. Now there is nothing going on, been a week on Friday

Do you have a hydrometer? You really need to know your SG to know if there's a problem or it could be that fermentation is complete or nearly complete.

jubug, was it fermenting when you racked it into the demijohn? How long had it been frementing? One more thing is even though you don't see much activity you might still have fermentation. You really need a hydrometer to test it and see. Also if you have air space in your demijohn make sure it is veru minimal because if it has finished fermentation and it is exposed to excessive airspace you will ruin your wine. Please give us more details..

It was oly active when I stirred it in the bucket I stirred it once daily for 3 days then strained it into a demijohn but that's when it all went quiet, it looked good and smelt lovely I realise I was meant to use a hydro meter before and after it was in the demi john. I don't have that much airspace (I've sent a photo) HOpe this helps and am I too late to rectify?

HOpe this helps and am I too late to rectify?
Do you have a hydrometer? If you don't, get one. If you do, take a reading and post it here.

It sounds like your fermentation is finished, but it's tough to know without a specific gravity reading.

Also, what is the current temperature of the wine?

Steve

I checked my wine with a hydro meter tonight 1.000 was the reading, I've checked my charts and think I know what that means, I need to add more sugar to bring it up to the required alcohol content, I want about a 11% alcohol content so am I right to assume from my charts that I put 865 grammes of sugar into the must, and in the form of sugar syrup over a period, my book tells me to put in at daily intervals at about 2 oz measures and the temperature was 79 F

You can add yeast energizer to restart fermentation rather than add sugar. 990 to 1000 is considered dry.

Latest posts

Back