Thinking outside the box

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Italian frascati

:tryFRASCATI IS A FRUITY ,STRAW TO GOLDEN IN COLOR WHITE WINE THAT WAS DEVELOPED BY THE ROMANS FROM THE HILLS OF ROME. FRASCATI CAN BE\MADE SWEET OR DRY TO YOU LIKING AND IS A BLEND OF GRAPES INCLUDING MALAVASIA AND TREBBIANO .BEST SERVER CHILLED AND ONE TABLE WINE I MADE OFTEN AND NEVER FAILS TO PLEASE GREAT WITH SEAFOOD ,POLO AND SOUPS.:HB

:d NEXT TIME THE Italian WINES COME THROUGH G.........FRASCATI A GREAT EVERYDAT EASY DRINKING WINE A BUCKET OF FRASCATI,YOU WON'T BE DIS APPOINTED:try

Sangiovese-chanti-style

:pic EVERYONE HAS ATTEMPTED THIS ONE,HOWS YOU PROFILE MATCH UP TO THIS ONE?:pic

:pic SANGIOVESE CHANTI STYLE wines are characterized in their youth by their predominantly floral and cinnamon spicy bouquet.AS these wines age they can have aromas of tobacco an leather.Chianti tend to have medieum- hight acidityand medium tannins.the acidity in the wines make them vary flexible with food pairings and are particularly good with Italian food that features red sauces as well as beef,lamb and wild game.:mny

:shSo the next time you make Chianti,or sangiovese,see if your profiles are there,for without knowing what your wine is supposed to taste like as a finished product how do you know what it really is?:sh

:mny ALSO FOLLOW ME ON A TRIP THROUGH ITALIAN AS WE DISCUSS ITALIAN WINES AND THERE REGIONS.:mny

Red wines in profile

GREAT ITALIAN REDS

:u MONTEPULCIANO,is a type of wine grape as well as a type of red wine made from these sames grapes.It is typically a fruity, dry wine with soft tannins,and as such is often consumed young. MONTEPULCIANO makes a beautifully deep ruby red wine that is clear and brilliant WITH PURPLISH SHADES.OVER TIME THE WINE TURNS TO GARNET RED DURING ITS MATURATION.:pic

THIS IS DEFINITELY A MOST FOR YOUR WINE CELLAR GOOD WITH PASTA AND SEAFOOD ,GET A BUCKET NEXT TIME OUT USE A LOW FOAMING YEAST ,YOU CAN AGE THIS BUT EASILY DRINKABLE AFTER THE FIRST FULL YEAR IN BOTTLE BETTER AFTER THE SECOND.:sm

Amarone..a taste treat

:db GIVE YOUR SENSES A TASTE TREAT:db

TEDESCHI,
AMARONE DELIA VALPOLICELLA 2007

TOMASO BUSSOLA AMARONE CLASSICO 2006
LA COLOMBAIA AMARONE 2008
ALLEGRINI, AMARONE 2008

:db JUST A SAMPLE OF WHATS OUT THERE,TRY ONE THEN MAKE A KIT OR JUICE ONE AND COMPARE ,THE PROFILE IS DISTINCTIVE AND WITH OUT COMPROMISE,AMARONE THE KING OF REDS FOR ME.:db:db:db:db:db:db:db:db:db:db:db:db:db:db:db

Verdicchio

NO THAT'S NOT HOW YOU SAY GOOD BY IN ITALIAN:slp.

VERDICCHIO,IS GROWN N THE AREA OF CASTELLI DI JESI AND MATELICA IN THE MARCHE REGION AND GIVES ITS NAME TO THE VARIETAL WHITE WINE MADE FROM IT. THE NAM COMES FROM "VERDE" (GREEN)THE WHITE WINES ARE NOTED FOR THEIR HIGH ACIDITY AND A CHARACTERISTIC NUTTY FLAVOR WITH S HINT OF HONEY.

THIS WINE CAN AGE VERY WELL ALSO I've HAD SOME 5 /6 YEARS YOUNG AND STILL RETAIN THEIR STRUCTURE,LAVIN ICV D-47 IS A GOOD YEAST FOR THIS WINE IT IS A LOW FOAMING QUICK FERMENTER .

TRY IT YOU'LL LIKE IT.:HB

Vermentino

:dg THIS IS WIDELY PLANTED IN THE NORTHERN SARDINIA AND ALSO FOUND IN TUSCAN AND LIGURIAN COASTAL DISTRICTS. WINES ARE PARTICULARLY POPULAR TO ACCOMPANY FISH AND SEAFOOD.:dg
THIS IS ANOTHER GREAT WHITE TO TRY, MADE MANY BATCHES OF THIS WINE HAS A CLEAN CRISP TASTE WITH A BITE TO THE FINISH.

VERMENTINO..A DIFFERENT FRUIT FOR THOUGHT. SEE IF YOU CAN PURCHASE A BUCKET WHEN THE ITALIANS COME ION NEXT SEASON.YOU'LL LOVE IT..............................:try

Pinot grigio

:f1 HERE A BIG FAVORITE ,A HUGELY SUCCESSFUL GRAPE ALSO KNOWN AS PINOT GRIS IN FRANCE,ITS WINES ARE CHARACTERIZED BY CRISPNESS AND CLEANNESS.IT IS USUALLY DELICATE AND MILD,BUT CAN BE MORE COMPLEX AND FULL BODY DEPENDING ON THE MAKER,IF THIS WINE IS HARVESTED TO EARLY IN THE YEAR IT LOOSES A ITS TRUE CHARACTERISTICS.

CHARACTERISTICS OF WINE THIS IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT TO UNDERSTAND AS A WINE MAKER EVEN AT OUR LEVEL.

[:wy] HERE A BIG FAVORITE ,A HUGELY SUCCESSFUL GRAPE ALSO KNOWN AS PINOT GRIS IN FRANCE,ITS WINES ARE CHARACTERIZED BY CRISPNESS AND CLEANNESS.IT IS USUALLY DELICATE AND MILD,BUT CAN BE MORE COMPLEX AND FULL BODY DEPENDING ON THE MAKER,IF THIS WINE IS HARVESTED TO EARLY IN THE YEAR IT LOOSES A ITS TRUE CHARACTERISTICS.

CHARACTERISTICS OF WINE THIS IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT TO UNDERSTAND AS A WINE MAKER EVEN AT OUR LEVEL.:wy
WHAT TYPE YEAST WOULD YOU BUILD WITH THIS WINE?.....THINK ABOUT IT.

Sangioveses – Chianti style

:db Now, what winemaker has not tried making or working with sangioveses ,this one is characterized in their youth by the prominently floral and cinnamon K. As these wines age, they can have a room of tobacco and leather. Chianti tends to be high to medium acidity and meeting towns . The acidity in the wine makes him very flexible with food pairings and are particularly good with the tank the scene that features red sauce as well as beef, lamp, and game .:db

:ft Okay, who has not tried making Chianti , or sangioveses these wines are critical and development of other wines of the 10 developing these characteristics is no very hard thing to do . Take a look in your yeast chart thing about the characteristics above , which will would you choose? which type of okay would you use ? how long would you let sit in the oak ? :a1 K

Muscat

:HB
Muscat, this is a wine that can be done dry ,semi dry and as a dessert wine or a sparkling known as asti.
:HB
Known mainly in Piedmont, is mainly used in the slightly sparkling frizzy semisweet Muscat di asti . Not to be confused with two German versions of moscato this is unto itself . I know from reading the threads on this forum that quite a few of you out there like. This particular style of wine . . So do, its also great for cooking with as the most , the timelines you will find them in the sauce somewhere or the gravy or whatever you choose to call it ,.. Italians in the restaurant world loves cooking with wine . :hnyE

Wine Trio

:hToday I am going to start three different wines, the first is a coffee port, the second is piña colada and the third is a Cosmo .:h

:u All of these wines will be made with the same yeast for the coffee port is EC 1118, for the piña colada EC 1118 , for the Cosmo, it is EC 1118 also , I you want to go back and take a look at when good wines have gone bad . What I just wrote about yeast and why the EC 1118 is the most widely used especially forget manufacturers it gives us a low operating temperature helps with stuck fermentation helps with heavy sediment in the wine makes compact lees, once again the safety zone . That is why I say to you . Sometimes the yeast that comes with the kits is always the best yeast that particular wine style that you are making , however in all three of these kits . They have one common factor , . They all have an F and they all have a wine base . So the trick here is to follow the process watcher temperatures and have a hydrometer and kn know how to read. Always ask try not to guess .:h

:w When doing right now side just washed my three fermentation tubs with one step, let them soak for 15 min.members of amount and start on the wine base.:w

:tz So here I sit waiting for my three fermenters to get over the 10 minute watch with six counts of one some step, I looked over at the labeling tub and said self if I get those out of that bucket. Get ready for the final rinse watch add the 24 more that I have get them ready then I will be able to put the one step back into it and recycle once the and water, why waste 18 gallons of hot sanitize water . :h

So now I can continue to start the base wine .:w

:u Coffee port/ SG 1.20 if you take that reading and translate that and alcohol I am around 17% .. to the top and my hanging tag , which indicates the style of wine the specific gravity and the date also the kit manufacturer serial number . coffee port is on its way .:h

. :u Cosmo wine, SG 1.10 I boost the alcohol one this just attack I know the fpac will handle be added alcohol without any problems have made this kid about half a dozen times now , added the hanging tag date and manufacturer serial number SG.......... Ready t go .......:h

:u piña colada of this wine. I have made an a half-dozen times, my better half loves it soda or girlfriends once again were using the same yeast EC 1118 ............ SG at 1. 10 :h

:u It will be interesting to see. The differences and the wine making techniques of us who are making this kit at the same time I intend at the coffee beans mine . I also boost the specific gravity of . All three kids I know that the F pack can handle it I finish . then maybe trade or swap and compare be very cool .... :h

Last edited:
Day 2

:mny DAY 2 FERMENTATION UNDERWAY

TEMP. 62 DEGREES.........
..........OUTDOOR WEATHER IS SUPPOSE TO WRAM UP BY MED-WEEK.:mny SO FAR-SO GOOD:mny

black malvasia///italian wine tour

:mnyblack malvasia is a grape variety from Asti in Piedmont,Italy. malvasia produces an intense red wine which is light to med. bodied wine with moderate acidity and moderate tannins. black MALVASIA is often used as a 10% blending grape with sangiovese when making chanti as the softness of the grape accelerates the finish of the product.malvasia can be paired with many things, especially a thin - crusted brick oven pizza or angel hair pasta with marinara sauce.:mny

:hugRemember the partner ship of wine (which are dominate) and which are fillers ,this is one of those wines which are usually used as a filler for a predominate wine type .the partnership of wine remember that thread.?:mny

Coffee port

:uJust the coffee port, lots of sediment in the bucket the users good stuff in the fermentation lots of body, to this so you added the usual cast of characters the CHEMS. You know who their afterward which I added my finding agents ,edited my hang tags wrapped in a blanket and the sanitize carboy and laid him to rest for a while, the piña colada and Cosmo are doing fine.;l:db

Coffee port

:uJust rackedcoffee port, lots of sediment in the bucket they used good stuff , the fermentation has lots of body, to this i should added the usual cast of characters the CHEMS. You know who their are then I added my finding agents ,edited my hanging tags, wrapped the carboy and laid him to rest for a while, the piña colada and Cosmo are doing fine.;l:db

Last edited:
Trebbiano

:uThis was widely plain white varietal in Italy. It is growing throughout the country, with a special focus on the one from Abbruzzo and from lazio, including frescati. Mostly, there are pale, easy drinking wines ,but trebbiano from producers such as valentini have been known as a for 15 years.. It is knownuni blanc in France. :u

:u This is another one of those wanting to keep the repertoire easy to make need to drink no-nonsense great basic ,Italian table wine check into it. w Wt to buy a bucket :u

Delcetto

DOLCETTO,IS A GRAPE VARIETY GROWN IN THE PIEDMONT REGION OFNORTHWEST ITALY.DOLCETTO IS NEARLY ALWAYS A DRY WINE AND CAN BE TANNICAND FRUIT DRIVEN WITH MODERATE LEVELS OF ACIDITY.DOLCETTO WINES ARE KNOWN FOR LICORICE AND BLACK CHERRY FLAVORS WITH A CHARACTERISTICALLY BITTER FINISH REMINISCENT OF ALMONDS.CONSIDERED A LIGHT EASY DRINKING RED WINE THAT PAIRS WELL WITH PASTA AND PIZZA DISHES,SOUNDS GOOD TO ME.:u:u:u:u:u:u:u:u:u:u:u

WHAT TYPE OF YEAST WOULD GO GOOD WITH THIS WINE?::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Wines of the world

THERE ARE FABULOUS WINES CREATE ALL OVER THE WORLD AND THEN RECREATED IN THE FORM OF KITS AND FRESH JUICE AS WELL GRAPES, THANKS TO MODERN SHIPPING METHODS FRESH GRAPES FROM CHILLY ,ITALY AND CALIFORNIA ARE SHIPPED FRESH AND IN SEASON,WERE GOING TO EXPLORE THEM AND THEN PAIR THEM WITH WHAT YOU CAN DO IN YOUR OWN WINERY TO MAKE THE HAPPEN ..............STAY TUNED:se:se:se:se:se:se:se:se:se:se:se:se:se:se:se:se..

German wine in review

:u Some of the best white wines in the world come from Germany. They have a long-standing tradition. Amazing making decent wines and the on the other side of that coin. They made some really bad ones , cheap but marketable but were going to explore some of the great German wines, if he ever can take the time to go into your local wine and spirits shop. Take a look at the German wines , try one whether it's a Riesling or a piesporter or any number of clean, fresh German wines.

:u We are going to little history of German wine. Just so you could see how long It's been manufactured, do you remember the Georgian wines that were buried in tasks in the dirt. They were like something 400 A.D. while the German wine making is been around for a long time. In some cases they got a bad rap, so were going to explore just a little................................ stay tuned for the start of one of my favorites. ........................ Piesporter............ a unique wine unto itself.

:u Piesporter is wine made in and around the village of piesport on the north bank of mosel wine region of Germany. A white, light body wine that ranges from dry to off dry, it can be made from Riesling,muller-thurgua or elbling grapes. In some cases piesporter maybe capitalize which are added to the juice before fermentation to increase the alcohol level, remember that adding sugar in the primary raises the alcohol level. Remember that, will continue right said that it can be a double-edged sword. This is their version of a cheap wine. Let me tell you something you get a kit of this wine do so. It has excellent finish and something very different than you're used to If you never had this before. This is one of the one I'm going to send Missouri, will see how it does.:b

I wanted to start with this wine because I'm used to it. I know it's finish, not a lot of fuss to it. It just tastes good, clean, crisp and has herbals in the finish.:b it can be a show stopper.
:b
Will continue.......:r

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back