the KIT is in

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JR Smith

Reaction score
This is a bit overwhelming to start this. I have read about putting raisins in my Prickley Pear Wine. Do I need them or not, what is the purpose of them. Now I have no fruit or pulp,just juice-4 gallons of it. Wich I will strain through a fine filter to get out all of the spines. I put the juice in the fermenter, and crush up and add the tablets for 24 hr. covering with cloth,Is this when I take a reading on the sg? I have a lot more questions

I will take all the help I can get

Thanks
JR Smith

It just depends on what you want. Do you want a wine with some tannin and more body. Then add the raisins. If you want a wine that emphasizes the prickly pear fruit, don't. I have alwaysheard that prickly pear spines are burned off before the fruit is used. I'll bet the filtering will be quite an experience. You should take the SG reading anytime before pitching the yeast. After pitching the yeast, the yeast will eat the sugar, which will lower the specific gravity as the fermentation progresses.Edited by: dfwwino

The friend I borrowed the steamer/juicer off of uses this fileter on her juices when she is making jelly or pancake syurpe. It is a super fine mesh, of what micron's I do not know. when done I will test some bottom dregs on a paper coffee filter and see if anything showes up. did the rest of the first part sound like it was right?
jr

Yes, most fruit wine recipes call for the addition of one Campden tablet per gallon of must to sanitize the must prefermentation. 24 hours later you pitch the yeast. Did you test the acid? Depending on the acidity of the fruit, you may want to make acid adjustments. You may also want to add pectic enzyme to break down the fruit.

not yet...I have not sanitize anything as yet. My juice is in the fridge.I have my jugs ready to mix up my sanitizers, just trying to get in my head what steps I need to do and have it layed out in my mind so as to knot make any mistakes. I got 20 hr in on the steaming already.

I just want to go slow and steady when I start.
jr

Well then, you also want to test the specific gravity of the wine and make sugar adjustments as necessary to get the wine to potential alcohol of 11-12 %.

I have ever thing sanitized and I am waiting on the wife to start straining. and then to the bucket for the camden tablets. I am going to take some pictures as I go. so onward into the dark depths of new knowledge

till later

Got ever thing ready put in the fermenter bucketand the spout leaked. Had to drain to secondary jug. Will half to continue tomorrow account of half to go to work about 0330 hr need a little rest

jr

Do n ot over tighten were it meets the gasket as it will cause it to leak. So either it is to loses or its to tight. There should be a gasket on both ides of the bucket and sometimes they will give a tiny drip. I just wrap a paper towel around it and it stops in a a day. then throw out the paper towel and it doesnt leak anymore.

thanks, I did keep tighting it up last night. just got in from work will try to lookat it tonight
jr

got it down to a drip, with paper towel around it. crushed up 4 campdon tablets and desolved them in water and stirred it in covered for 24 hr. There is a storm blowing in and out first night of freeze is on the way. mother in law and wife are sick with something. and both in a cranky mood. I will pervail and overcome. so good night to all
jr

took a sg reading and got 1.20 twice. I took a acid reading and got 1cc when it changed I will do another. I am not sure what to do with the acid reading. If you can stear me in the right direction on this. I will post the next reading shortly. I took the 2nd reading and it was 1cc also I have 4 us gal of must, do I need to add 1 gal of water and do 5 gal.
thanks
jrEdited by: JR Smith

Latest posts

Back