The Bread Thread

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made some rolls today, used spent grains from a beer mash that was 1/4 heavy peated barley.
I really like it, I have a lot of spent grains left so I'll do a couple more batches of bread and tweak a few things. Maybe use peated beer instead of water in the recipe.

Attachments

• IMG_20201228_185406.jpg
    IMG_20201228_185406.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 8
Going to give sourdough baguettes a try this weekend. Researching recipes and baking techniques until then. Got me a bakers couche, a fancy baguette flipping board and even a silicon mini baguette tray for the oven. Will post some pics depending on the success/failure of this! LOL

Going to give sourdough baguettes a try this weekend. Researching recipes and baking techniques until then. Got me a bakers couche, a fancy baguette flipping board and even a silicon mini baguette tray for the oven. Will post some pics depending on the success/failure of this! LOL

..so bread sticks basically.... looking forward to your notes...

I am going to shoot more for something I could make a sandwich out of if need be for this bake. Will try the mini baguette next time.

1609372703682.jpeg

Found this Video today. Might try and follow it to some extent.

This one was pretty good as well. Not sourdough but good overall baguette baking skills.

..so bread sticks basically.... looking forward to your notes...

I am going to shoot more for something I could make a sandwich out of if need be for this bake. Will try the mini baguette next time.

View attachment 69923

Found this Video today. Might try and follow it to some extent.

This one was pretty good as well. Not sourdough but good overall baguette baking skills.

Mike, a friend makes sourdough loaves almost daily and I called him last night to pick his brain. I liked that he said "if you make a lot of bread you'll eventually develop your own style and technique". He sent a couple of pics I'm sharing that make a lot of sense. He's in the process of making a version with a base board with dowel holes where you can move the sides to different widths depending on what size loaves you want to shape. I think I'll build one too and let you know how it works out.
20201117_113555.jpg20201117_113605.jpg

1st. attempt. Need to work on my technique (LOL) and I used the POS LG Oven........

Had it set to 475 and best it could do was 425 and it dropped to 400 during the cook. I had to rotate 4 times or they would burn at the back of the oven where the heat comes out. Put a CI pan on the lowest rack in the oven and poured about a cup of cold water in it once I got the pan inserted.

They should have been done at 16-20 min at 450F but needed 30 mins to get to this doneness. Used the same recipe I have been using for Boule's. Smells amazing in the kitchen!

1609600416102.jpeg

Awesome looking. Would work equally well for NE Clam Chowder!

I asked Lori for suggestions for something new for dinner tonight, she came up with shrimp bisque in bread bowls! Started the bowls yesterday and baked this morning. Now just have to make up a seafood stock and I'm 90% of the way there! These are right at 7" diameter.
View attachment 70014

Latest posts

Back