The Bread Thread

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting situation.. I have been making a batch of 2 sour dough loaves every week for the past 4 years this month Give one away and eat the other. Started with a starter my son in law got going in Saskatchewan then 2 years later I got a starter from Ischia Italy and alternated them then about 6 months ago got a starter from San Francisco And rolled that in to my alternating schedule. i use the same recipe every week and found all three have different qualities in taste, texture, smell etc (the San Fran is definitely more sour) But one thing stands out is the SAS and Ischia loaves will start to show the green mold spots at day 6 or 7 but the San Francisco loaf will go almost 2 weeks. interesting point.

Interesting situation.. I have been making a batch of 2 sour dough loaves every week for the past 4 years this month Give one away and eat the other. Started with a starter my son in law got going in Saskatchewan then 2 years later I got a starter from Ischia Italy and alternated them then about 6 months ago got a starter from San Francisco And rolled that in to my alternating schedule. i use the same recipe every week and found all three have different qualities in taste, texture, smell etc (the San Fran is definitely more sour) But one thing stands out is the SAS and Ischia loaves will start to show the green mold spots at day 6 or 7 but the San Francisco loaf will go almost 2 weeks. interesting point.

Makes sense to me. The more sour taste would indicate more acidity (at least in my mind), which would likely be a less hospitable environment for mold. Eventually though, it'll make a home.

I've been making bread for a few years, not often, maybe 5-6 loaves a year. Usually it's when I have a bunch of spent grain from a batch of beer, and need something to use it for.

But I've also made some sour dough and rye bread.

Next week I'll have a bunch of spent grains that are heavy on peated barley. I'm interested to see what I can make using that.

There are all sorts of great things that can be done with the spent grains and liquids from beer. Been a long time since I've brewed anything, but spent grain bread is to die for!
pardon the stupidity of my question ,, but can any of this be done with cornbread, and yes I'm am from the south side of the Mason Dickson line ,, so forgive my lack of grey matter ,,,
Dawg

I had it on "indirect heat," as best as I could. That is, the coals occupied most of one half of the 22" Weber, and the DO occupied most of the other half. I am sure that there was more radiant (and possibly convective) heat delivered to the bottom of the DO than would have been the case in a normal oven.

Last time I did this, I put down some ceramic pieces (from a broken pizza stone) under the DO. Not sure if it made any difference before, but, in any event, I didn't think to do that yesterday. :slp

C'est la vie. Beats the hell out of cranking a 450F oven in my kitchen on the warmest day of the year so far!
small off set stick smoker would cure that,,
just my 1/2 cent worth
Dawg

Latest posts

Back