The Bread Thread

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Someone on another site posted a po boy and others started discussing making the "NOLA" roll. One of them posted a King Arthur recipe, I kinda like their flours, so I tried it out today (will make meatball subs tomorrow since pizza is in the works for this evening). Turned out pretty good, just cut the yeast they call for back to about 1 TBS (9g) as the 2 TBS seemed a bit much. The rolls are really soft, but I wanna try it again using some vege shortening like I've seen other "authentic" recipes use. Smell good at this point!

3-9-24_sub-rolls.jpg

https://www.kingarthurbaking.com/recipes/nola-style-french-bread-rolls-recipe

My bagels turned out OK. My starter was very active, but my dough didn't rise much. I think my starter needs more time, it is only a few months old and has spent a lot of time in the fridge.

I divided and fed with some organic red fife and rye flower added to the all purpose. Not the first time, but I want to really ramp it up over the next little while, so I am also leaving it on the counter.

My biggest hesitation with making sour dough in the past was the discard. I hate waste. SO! Double chocolate discard muffins. Thinking crackers for tomorrow. If anyone has any favorite discard recipes, I would appreciate the share.

1000001054.jpg

I had to make my own baking cups it has been so long since I made muffins. They will do!

1000001053.jpg

I hope this fits into the bread thread. It is what I am working towards!

My bagels turned out OK. My starter was very active, but my dough didn't rise much. I think my starter needs more time, it is only a few months old and has spent a lot of time in the fridge.

I divided and fed with some organic red fife and rye flower added to the all purpose. Not the first time, but I want to really ramp it up over the next little while, so I am also leaving it on the counter.

My biggest hesitation with making sour dough in the past was the discard. I hate waste. SO! Double chocolate discard muffins. Thinking crackers for tomorrow. If anyone has any favorite discard recipes, I would appreciate the share.

View attachment 111307

I had to make my own baking cups it has been so long since I made muffins. They will do!

View attachment 111306

I hope this fits into the bread thread. It is what I am working towards!
Chocolate cupcakes~bread… I’ll allow it 😋

Sake lees bread.
Super active starter, doubling in size in 2-3 hours even on the first day. Starter passed the float test on the evening of day 2, started bread on day 3. Great flavor, moist. It was a whimsical test but I liked it enough to keep my starter going.
Now I'm wondering about other wine lees bread!

20240407_120357.jpg 20240407_163058.jpg

Back