The birds are back

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arne

Reaction score
Yesterday walking out to the garage I heard a funny sound. The sandhill cranes are arriving. Just a few now, but shortly there will be thousands. They stage here and do their mating thing before they continue on to the north for the summer. It is a big deal around here, brings a lot of people in to watch them. Brings lots of rude people in. They stop in the middle of the road to take pics and watch the birds. Drive out into private fields to get closer and generally are kinda a pain. If you happen to come to watch, just pull off the roads and show a little courtesy and you will be treated the same. They put on a good show and right now we have thousands of geese. They will be leaving in a couple or three weeks, tho. Anyway for bird watchers central Nebraska is the place to be for the next month or so. Just do not watch em fly over with your mouth open, they may present you with a present. Bring wine to wash it out with if it happens. lol, Arne.

If you decide to come look at them, I would wait a couple of weeks. There will be many more of them here then, and they should be doing their mating dance. Don't bother going on one of their crane tours, go to Grand Island or Kearney, get on the south side of the river and drive towards G.I. or Kearney depending where you are starting from. Stay within 5 mi. or so of the Platte river and you should see thousands of the birds. If you are coming out, give me a shout either on this post or p.m. me and I will let you know if they are here in force yet. Bring a good pair of binoculars and a long lens for your camera. You can get close to them but they usually stay a ways out in the fields. Arne.

At last a sign that winter is starting to come to an end. Yes if you have any pst pics or get new ones we would love to see them. Makes for a great winery name.... The Sandhill Winery. Photo on the label too.

Thanks

Sandhill Skeeter Pee, Serve it on the overlook as the birds take five before flying further North. Make sure they fasten their seatbelts and tray covers are forward before departing.

I will be driving by there next week so I'll have to stop and show the kids the cranes.

Wish I could post pics for you guys. My problem is I grew up way before computers were an every day tool. Everything I do on this thing I have learned on my own and posting pics isn't part of what I have learned. If one of my kids shows up around here soon, I can get her to help me. Today they are talking about snow. It is good for the birds, cools their jets a little. Arne.

Talked to a couple of the folks that live along the Platte river. They said Monday was the first day they saw any of the cranes. Every nice day there will be more showing up. We loose a few cranes every year when a blizzard rolls thru. They can't seem to stay on the ground and wind up flying into power lines.

Glad to hear of true signs of spring, been a long wet, dark winter, need some vitiman DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

Well, we are having winter storms again, didn't get too much snow but cold again. Highs in the low teens. Will slow down the arrivals for a bit but they will be comin in droves soon. I havn't seen one up close yet, but havn't been up to the river lately. Going to get back in the 40's next week and bet they will be arriving. Arne.

Latest posts

Back